Bassbme

Hardener and other stuff

I did a search, but didn't really see anything in the threads I read that would answer the questions I have.

Referring to hardener .... other than reading that it takes less to harden plastisol than to soften it, I didn't see anything that said how much hardener it would take to really change say a soft plastisol, to a medium, or medium hard plastisol.

Based on the above, I ordered a gallon of soft plastisol (pourasol) from Lureworks and received that order today. So how much hardener to I need to add to just hit the basic hardness of medium and medium hard, respectively. I realize it depends on what I end up liking, but just something to get me close. Is there a ratio that would work? like 1 oz of hardener to 3 oz of soft plastisol to come up with medium plastisol. Stuff like that.

Also, on heat stabilizer. How much would you add to say 4 oz worth of reheated plastisol? Sorry for the possibly asked a million times questions. Like I said I did a search and didn't see anything too specific.

Any tips or information you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. On a side note, today I caught my first fish on a bait that I poured. Nothing huge, but it was a nice little smallmouth that came on a drop shot bait I poured. Caught it on a rod I built too.  I was all ... King Kong ain't got nuthin on me. LOL

Bass-Boys, thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I have to say I'm a bit embarrassed. I say that because before I bothered to read the sides of their respective bottles, I came in an posted this thread. Guess what ..... the directions for how much to use are on the bottles....... duh me !!!

I realize that varying amounts of hardener are going to give different results, but it says not to use more than a tablespoon of hardener in 1 cup of plastisol. How much of a difference can I expect a tablespoon of hardener to make in the firmness of plastisol?

Will it take a soft to a medium hard? Or am I just looking at a 1 step up in firmness as in soft, to medium? I know experimentation is really the way to learn, I just don't want to waste a lot of plastisol.

Bass-Boys, thank you again for the response, I definitely appreciate it.

I can't tell you exact ratios, but I can tell you to add your hardener to cool, uncooked plastic, and stir it well, until it's completely dissolved.  Otherwise, you'll wind up with lumps of the unmixed hardener in your heated plastic.  The hardener is a very thick material.

Softener is easier to mix in, because it is thinner than the plastic.  Same with heat stabilizer.

Just experiment, and write down your ratios, so you can duplicate your results once you get what you want.  

Mark, thank you much for the response. As always, it is definitely appreciated.

Question? Have you ever added more hardener than what is recommended by the manufacturer? The reason I ask is I figured I'd be able to add as much hardener as needed to get whatever firmness I wanted out of the plastisol. Most of the baits I'll be pouring will need a soft or medium firmness plastic, but I also was planning on dipping some tube baits. From what I understand those are better if they're made from a medium hard plastic.

Personally I think it depends on what you'll be using the tube for. If you're fishing the bait on a tube jig, then I don't see that a tougher bait is really needed. But if you're flipping and pitching the bait, then I can definitely see the need for a tougher plastic as the hook wouldn't tear it up as bad.

I was kind of hoping, with the use of hardener, that I could make a soft plastisol into a medium hard. Probably just going to have to run a cup of the maximum suggested amount of hardener, and see what I get.

And oh yeah, I have already started writing stuff down.

Thanks again for your reply. They are always appreciated.

alsworms, I appreciate the reply .... thank you. And yeah, I actually feel like I'm becoming a pest with all the questions I'm asking. lol

I'm about at the point now where I just need to swing the bat, so to speak. I really do appreciate you and the other guys that have responded to my posts, taking the time to help me out.

This is a great web site. I'm glad it was suggested to me to give it a look. It ranks right up there with Rodbuilding.org as being the best place on the web for getting advice from some really talented individuals.

Thanks again to everyone.

Batter up !!!

• Like 1