ddl

musky components (spinnerbaits)

hey guys just would like to told you to be careful .one of the rare spinnerbaits head dealer is selling that kind of crap. ive never seen a job that ugly  and beleive it or not the red that you see in the pics have been painted as fluo red or flame red  lol .the good new is that i'll have to buy all the equipment to make my own. so if it look that ugly then it will be my fault  hehe.ive never made a single one and i know right away that his head were way too hot prior the painting i don't even know if he use a fluid bed , it must not be that hard because like ive said  ive never seen anything that ugly so......  maybe i'll need your help soon. btw if someone got anything related to that to sell shoot me pm ty

20200420_124011.jpg

20200420_124058.jpg

Most spinnerbaits are not dipped in a fluid bed.

The wires make that a difficult in a standard fluid bed.

There are those who have modified fluid beds with some sort of sealable slot system to accomplish this task.

The wires also make it difficult to use a bottom pour pot. So most are cast using a ladle.

I'm going to look into a slotted fluid bed build myself for some extra large spinnerbaits I intend to make for lake trout this summer.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

yes they are ,if they would not be dipped in fluid bed most spinnerbaits would be loaded of humps like mine. but it is not the case.tks god most of them got a smooth finish . like you said it is a job for the ladle since musky spinnerbaits  heads are too large for bottom feeder at least according to do -it. what is a spotted fb ?   what a great idea i guess you will get the ultra minnow 5  6 7 oz or something like that?  btw i don't see why the wire is causing you trouble in the fluid bed ? instead of the vicegrip pliers that will hold your head in place it will be a wire you just have to put a lil bit of teracota over the hooks if you want to make sure paint will not stick to it  and voila . hope it make sense ,at least it make one in my head hehe

19 minutes ago, ddl said:

do you claim that we can't do a smooth finish whit a fluid bed ?

No what I am saying is that many homebuilt fluid beds cannot handle/accept the wire portion.

So people often use other methods to put the powder paint on or use other types of paints.

A 2" standard height fluid bed cannot accept a spinnerbaits with the wire in it.

Now I personally have tall fluid beds. I have several 12" tall cups I use for my 10"+ long jigs.

I have 2" and 3" cups. And I even built a vibratory fluid bed system.

I haven't tried doing a spinnerbait in one yet though.

My molds I'll be using are from Shawn Collins customs and they are CNC machined molds.

why do you want to put the wire in the fluid ,hook first  wire outside should not work  ? do you think it is possible or even better to use an airbrush air compressor instead of the lil aquarium pump to provide air at the fluid bed ? will take a look at collins

I dip my spinnerbait and buzzbaits in a fluid bed. However my fluid bed is 5" tall and filled to the top. I dip hook first. The key is to make sure you do not get the hook bend and point hot, because you will get paint on it and that would not be easy to get off. My base coat on all of my spinnerbaits are done in a fluid bed. Everything is usually do-able, it just takes time and practice to figure out the easiest way.

• Like 1

kingmfg these are pretty clean not even a bb wrinkle

cadman tks

apdriver trust me i know that ,but it make no sense considering the price i ask ,and at the price HE ask. i would feel bad to sell that unfortunately he do not.if strike king would bankrupt if they would make junk like that even if fish do not care customers do . tks if you want i can show you pics

I only make spinnerbaits for myself, and a few friends. 

When I want to powdercoat a spinnerbait, I fill the lid of the powder jar with powder, and sit it on top of a large piece of visqueen, like a big baggie.

I heat the bait, and then, holding it by the hook, I dip bottom down, and roll as I dip.  Then I tap off as much excess as I can.

The sides of the jar lid act as a depth control, and I am careful not to overheat the bait, so I don't get too much powder on the bait.

Sometimes the top isn't coated, so I reheat, hold the bait over the visqueen, and add more powder to the top by pinching some in my hand and sprinkling it over the bait.

It is not very scientific, but I figured out how to make it work.  I even add a contrasting color on top sometimes, using the same method.

I even tried Cadman's tap the brush method, but I can't seem to make it work for me.  Hat's off to him.  His baits are works of art.

• Like 2