Curt - NC

2020 Lure Contest Winners

Below I have listed the winners of the 2020 Coolest Lure Contest!

As always, choosing just 3 winners in each category was tough to do.

Thank you all for participating, and congratulations to the winners.

2020 Coolest Lure Contest Winners

Best Custom Painted Hardbait

1st - caricaburu -

2nd - cstorey29 -

3rd - bladesandbaits -

Best Homemade Hardbait

1st - gastonfish -

2nd - Brandon Seutter -

3rd - CJM lures -

Best Wire Bait

1st - Metalhead -

2nd - Limbo -

3rd - smallmouthchaser -

Best Soft Plastic Bait

1st - hpssports -

2nd - bassy -

3rd - Atlas Lures -

Best Fly

1st - Tim Johnso -

2nd - St. Maries flies -

3rd - Leonsebiatan -

Best Rod or Reel

1st - tjzman -

2nd - Reset Reels -

3rd - jhicks22309 -

I’d like to suggest another category to your judging criteria. The current criteria is:

Overall Appearance 

Originality 

Complexity of Construction

Quality of Finish

I know the combined expertise of the judges must be to the extent that they know what can function on the water. This takes into account ease of use, applied action, and durability. Granted, without actually having it in hand it would be difficult to thoroughly judge these qualities. But experienced anglers do purchase new items online because of perceived performance, a criteria I’d like to suggest considering with the others.

3 hours ago, Brian7394 said:

I’d like to suggest another category to your judging criteria. The current criteria is:

Overall Appearance 

Originality 

Quality of Finish

I know the combined expertise of the judges must be to the extent that they know what can function on the water. This takes into account ease of use, applied action, and durability. Granted, without actually having it in hand it would be difficult to thoroughly judge these qualities. But experienced anglers do purchase new items online because of perceived performance, a criteria I’d like to suggest considering with the others.

My son just read this and said, "Hey dad tell the members to send me all their lures to try out."  :D

9 minutes ago, alsworms said:

My son just read this and said, "Hey dad tell the members to send me all their lures to try out."  :D

Tell your boy if he comes and picks them up he can have my entry’s :lolhuh:

congrats to the winners. I am seeing a trend in hard baits the judges seem to like swimbaits and jointed wake baits :whistle:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Brian7394 said:

Overall Appearance 

Originality 

Quality of Finish

@Brian7394 Thanks for the suggestion.

In reality, without seeing video of each lure, it is extremely difficult to judge this aspect of any lure without actually fishing with it or having it available to test personally.

With lots of years of experience, though, looking for certain qualities and design features of a lure, most of this can be judged without ever seeing a lure in action. So, in reality, this is already being taken into consideration. It was part of what I personally used to judge some of the baits. And I know that the people who helped me do the judging also looked at this.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

As part of the awards phase of the contest, I will need each of the winners to send me a PM with the following two pieces of info:

Full Name
Email address where you want the gift certificate to be sent
The name of your winning entry

Please DO NOT post the requested info here, but be sure to send it to me by way of a private message.

@caricaburu

@cstorey29

@bladesandbaits

@gastonfish

@Brandon Seutter

@CJM lures

@Metalhead

@LIMBO

@smallmouthchaser

@hpssports

@Bassy

@Atlas Lures

@Tim Johnso

@St. Maries flies

@Leonsebiatan

@tjzman

@Reset Reels

@jhicks22309

2 hours ago, Brian7394 said:

I am amazed at the talent of these submittals, especially the painting category. Congrats to all of the winners. You should be proud.

There is some real talent around that is for sure. Sadly most fishermen have no idea at what exists outside of the mass produced lures

Now if only we can have more of theses guys join into the forum and share some secrets 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curt-RI

I appreciate your response with consideration to “perceived performance” and I definitely agree with the difficulty in it. Maybe an easier way to describe this is to imagine yourself, as a professional fisherman, with all of these lure and fly pics at your disposal prior to a tournament with a wonderful cash prize. If you only had a handful to pick for the tournament, which ones would you pick, and ask yourself why? Therein lies the “perceived performance” criteria. If you already incorporate that into your decision-making, why not make that a category of that criteria.

I also understand that this may be getting too involved with the general fun intended for the contest and to keep it more simply as the coolest “looking” lure contest. That is certainly ok (cool) also.

Thanks so much for taking the time. You guys/gals are great in doing this. I certainly did not mean any ill criticism, just wanted to create more thought in the matter since we are all wanting to contribute thought-provoking conversation and ideas through this contest. All my best.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for taking the time. You guys/gals are great in doing this. I certainly did not mean any ill criticism, just wanted to create more thought in the matter since we are all wanting to contribute thought-provoking conversation and ideas through this contest. All my best.

No worries! Ideas are always welcome!