Munkin

Making lead masters?

Anyone have any experience on making lead masters? I have saved up enough to buy a spincaster, vulcanizer, and the other things to start spincasting. Duplicating say Ned jigs is easy as I can just put some good ones from a Do-It mold together. The two things that I cannot figure out are; how to get details in say a spinnerbait head? Do you carve one out of another material first, etc? and how to calculate weight. Lead I know has a specific weight/density ratio that probably requires math that I gave up on years ago but how to actually calculate is beyond me. So anyone with any tips would be greatly appreciated .

Allen

I have made prototypes of lead heads and made molds using Durhams water putty . Its kind of like Plaster of paris but withstand the heat of molten lead better but breaks down little by little with each bait you cast . You can make a head of roughly the size and shape you want poured in lead using a 2 part  Durham mold and then put features in by filing the lead (such as gills for example or eye sockets  ) before making the master vulcanized mold after you are happy with your design .  One word of caution about the Durhams water putty though . You have to make sure the mold halves are completely dry before attempting to pour hot lead into them or molten lead will shoot back at you thru the sprue hold . 

• Like 1