CoreyH

wire bending questions

•  
  • TU Member
  • 110 posts

I'm looking at making some buzzbaits for bass fishing.  What gauge wire is going to be best for bass fishing applications?  I'd be making 3/8 - 1/2 oz baits.  Also, in order to make clean looking R bends and other bends (like the downward bend in a Cavitron-type buzzbait), should I be able to do that with just a pair of round nose pliers, or am I going to want to have a wire bending/forming tool of some kind?

I use the heavier wire forms. They’re .045 however they also come in .035. You can bend these with round nose pliers but at .08 cents a piece not sure it’s worth the time unless you had something custom in mind. 50 of them are 4 bucks and change from Barlows.

I like making my own wire forms but buzzbaits are a different story, at least for me. For 3/8oz I'm with Apdriver in that I like .045"  but for 1/2oz I prefer .052". The .045" wire you can bend on a wire former depending on what you use but .052" requires a heavy duty option. 

Thanks for the help and advice.  I think I'll do what Apdriver suggested and buy the forms already pre-formed from Barlows.  However, the Do-It mold I'm looking at getting shows a wire size of .050 for the 3/8 and 1/2 oz mold size.  I've never used lead molds before, so I'm not sure if I have to use the .050 wire size or can I use the .045 with that mold?  Same goes for hook size.  They have a 3/0 size hook for the 3/8 oz cavity and a 4/0 for the 1/2 oz cavity.  Can I upsize the hooks to a 4/0 for the 3/8 and 5/0 for the 1/2 oz?

So I can upsize the hook, which is good.  Am I able to go down slightly in wire size from the .050 to the .045 or will that not work?  If I have to stick with the .050 I will, but I feel like I'd prefer to go with the .045 if I can.  Or build some with the .045 and some with the .050 to see which work best.  Thanks again.