Big Bob75

Color

black, white, chartreuse, watermelon, non-bleed red, an orange variation. I wouldn't get too caught up on what you order first, if you are like most of us you will end up getting almost all of the colors available anyways! 

Black, blue, green pumpkin & junebug are what i stated with.Now besides that i have white, orange, yellow,another junebug, another green pumpkin, gourd, chartreuse, redbug, cherry red, red, pumpkinseed, black grape  etc. I say etc. because, right off hand i can't think of all of them & they're all pint bottles too & needing more. lol  Way more glitter than i want to take the time to mention & a little over 6 gallons of plastic with the order from yesterday & another mold coming which will put me at about 30. lol  Start slowly because you're going to be spending for years to come. :D

2 hours ago, Canga~ said:

The pearl powders opens up a whole other world of options! So many vendors and colors, color shifts, it’s really crazy what’s out there

Yep & i like using mica powders too.  Brings a lot of color variation to the table. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, Apdriver said:

Pear powder and uv additive, also. 

Pear Powder is hard to come by! But not trying to hijack the thread. Do you find the UV stuff makes a difference? I've used glow powders, mostly for saltwater and it seems to make a difference in the briny. But no difference in fresh water. I've been wanting to try the UV, but just spent another $150 this week on more supplies and colors.

And like all the other posters. go with the basics, but don't get too hung up on colors, because in time you'll have more variations of coloring than you'll ever need.

There has to be some sort of hotline for this this addiction!

• Like 1

Uv powder, green pumpkin, pinch of blue hi lite, add in some black glitter. Big producer for me. The UV pops in the sun. what I have came from Do It.

oh and the pear powder stuff came from spell checker. Pearl powder is good stuff and easy to find.:lolhuh:

Edited by Apdriver
Mispelling
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 3:10 AM, Canga~ said:

The pearl powders opens up a whole other world of options! So many vendors and colors, color shifts, it’s really crazy what’s out there

Just curious, what kinf of pigments, powders, dyes, or paints in general cant be mixed into plastisol? What is the difference between buying lurecraft dyes vs just going to hobby lobby and picking up dyes and powders from there?

13 hours ago, Fern said:

Just curious, what kinf of pigments, powders, dyes, or paints in general cant be mixed into plastisol? What is the difference between buying lurecraft dyes vs just going to hobby lobby and picking up dyes and powders from there?

The powders (pearl x) from hobby lobby work great, I don’t think I would use any “dyes” from there due to not really knowing what’s in them. If they were water based it would be very bad. For liquid colorants I stick to the bait making sites.

i use a lot of mica powders meant for automotive paint, there is a ton on eBay and many other sites. Also the ones meant for makeup and candle making work well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canga~ said:

The powders (pearl x) from hobby lobby work great, I don’t think I would use any “dyes” from there due to not really knowing what’s in them. If they were water based it would be very bad. For liquid colorants I stick to the bait making sites.

i use a lot of mica powders meant for automotive paint, there is a ton on eBay and many other sites. Also the ones meant for makeup and candle making work well.

awesome, thank you for the brief explanation. So I am essentially looking for non water based paints? Why is using water paints considered very bad? 

Some people mentioned Mica powders and I looked on amazon and saw various companies selling mica powders, are all mica powders on the table for use or is there a "water based" chemical equivalent that I should not use? also what is the main difference to using powder pigments vs liquid colorants? are there any benefits? I am referring to like a common blue powder pigment vs a common blue liquid colorant as I know that some powdered pigments have the benefit of cool effects like the pearl or color shifting, I am just referring to common colors with no effect.  I hope that was a clear enough question. 

6 hours ago, Fern said:

awesome, thank you for the brief explanation. So I am essentially looking for non water based paints? Why is using water paints considered very bad? 

Some people mentioned Mica powders and I looked on amazon and saw various companies selling mica powders, are all mica powders on the table for use or is there a "water based" chemical equivalent that I should not use? also what is the main difference to using powder pigments vs liquid colorants? are there any benefits? I am referring to like a common blue powder pigment vs a common blue liquid colorant as I know that some powdered pigments have the benefit of cool effects like the pearl or color shifting, I am just referring to common colors with no effect.  I hope that was a clear enough question. 

Water, at the very least gets moisture in the plastic causing mass bubbles, at worst, in hot plastic, the rapid boiling of the water could cause a small explosion sending molten plastic flying (not as bad as into hot lead, but still bad!!)

as for micas, I think they are pretty much all useable. I have used some powder pigments that didn’t mix into the plastic but no other adverse affects. 

pearl vs liquid, it’s pretty much what you said. Most pearl/mica has the pearlized effect. There are some matte finish powders that won’t give that, and look similar to a liquid. I also haven’t had any micas bleed, they stay pretty colorfast. So for certain colors (red being notorious for bleeding even in non-bleed) it works better imo.

• Like 1