fishordie79

Bubbles, Bubbles, and More Bubbles

Hey TU Folks!

Well after months of renovations my shop is done and I am finally able to get back to work. Been working on some jig head designs and my first real build since getting back at it turned out really well (images below). Through the help of this site and it’s members I have gotten much more comfortable in this hobby so thank you all. 

So although I have a pretty good process for removing bubbles in my epoxy I still don’t get them all and that annoys me. As I’m sure you can all understand I want the clear coat to be as perfect as possible after having spent so much time on a project. So, my question is, which epoxy, in your experience, is less prone to leaving bubbles in your projects? Is there any one that is better than the others where this is concerned? 

Thanks and tight lines!

01AC8824-9D44-4BB8-8DB3-B7A8A858C4CD.jpeg

D8C9070C-6C0C-4A10-93E9-33BC07F00A79.jpeg

BCCA0685-9FE4-4EF1-9460-3188BCFA2742.jpeg

67BAE5DC-1180-44A0-89D2-5C21C9F04B35.jpeg

27715E0B-3EE0-4818-B630-899D1B2A6F86.jpeg

C0FBEC0E-A70F-4CE9-9277-153C971680B4.jpeg

4E15BC2C-90F7-4512-9D0B-29DDF82A72A6.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree with 21xdc, but recommend taking a look at uv cured polyester resin too.  Either allows you to simply dip into a one part finish and is as tough or tougher than epoxy.  I never liked epoxy on metal because it thins out to almost nothing over any sharp edge and then chips off quickly.  Once a topcoat over acrylic chips and exposes the paint, the whole paint job begins to delaminate.

btw, those are wild and wonderful jigs.  Nice work.

I purchase by the Qt. I might buy a pint the next time. Open it up, pour it in a mason jar for storage. Keep the rim of the glass clean and wiped off before you replace the lid. Or you will never get the lid off again. Keep the jar open as little as possible. It lasts a very long time. 

I suggest you try the smaller size first. About once a month I get an e-mail with a coupon code of 15% off or free shipping. There should be one coming soon. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, 21xdc said:

I purchase by the Qt. I might buy a pint the next time. Open it up, pour it in a mason jar for storage. Keep the rim of the glass clean and wiped off before you replace the lid. Or you will never get the lid off again. Keep the jar open as little as possible. It lasts a very long time. 

I suggest you try the smaller size first. About once a month I get an e-mail with a coupon code of 15% off or free shipping. There should be one coming soon. 

Helps to put a zip lock bag over the jar before you put on the lid on. Won't be so hard to open.

• Like 2

@21xdc is this the one you use? Also, I've tried an automotive clear coat in the past, although it wasn't KBS and required a hardener. The problem with that one was the fumes. I do a lot of bait finishing in my basement and my wife was rather unimpressed at the smell of that stuff:) How bad are the fumes/smell with KBS in your opinion?

@Slammingjackthanks for the tip!

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 7.29.43 AM.png

I just started using KBS and I recommend do small test batches till you get it right. My first two batches had issues with bubbles. Thin is the key and going beyond 2 coats a 24hr cure time is what I had to do to prevent it

I am no expert with KBS but it does have its own learning curve. My first 2 batches had me debating on going back to Etex. 

works well once you get it right but do a few testers to start so it’s a min loss if it goes wrong 

@21xdc So I looked and unfortunately I cannot get KBS in Germany, at least that I could find anyway. Can’t even get it shipped to the Army Post Office on the base that I work at because there are restrictions on shipping it through the APO. Time to start looking for a German alternative...

• Sad 1