Dirtyeggroll

Can you help replicate this jig

Hi all,

By recommendation of a member of a different forum, I have come here for your help.

I am hoping someone can replicate a jig for a fishing mentor of mine.

I am pretty sure it is a 1/4 ounce jig with a mustard wide gap hook. I think the colors are olive (or dark olive) and chartreuse. I am not sure of the material (buck tail vs. maribou vs. craft fur or a combination).

I will pay a premium to anyone who can replicate it for me. Thanks for your help!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CapyLPeV4VwA6782F2D-05AE-4804-9FA7-CE83C4999282.thumb.jpeg.018cf65018be5df1827caadbfaf1982e.jpeg

FBE35AB3-D403-42D5-8270-239963270233.jpeg.81d295ed7545c1aea218b4cb4f43b91e.jpeg

Edited by Dirtyeggroll

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I hate judging material by pics but I will try

If I am seeing it right it’s a coarse stiff hair on the outside that I assume is bucktail. The inside if it is a softer fluffy material it is likely marabou spun around the shank

In my hand I would know right away but pics are tougher 

I know pictures are not ideal. Thanks for playing along and giving your input though.

I believe Hillbilly is correct.  I zoomed in as much as possible and I am sure that it is marabou spun on the shank and bucktail over it.  The material Flyman is talking about is not it, but it would be an upgrade for sure.

As for colors, the two pictures are so different that it is clear that you will need to take it with you to a local store to match (never possible completely).  The jig head is an old head that I have not seen for some time, but lureparts.com has some that would be close, and even an update as well.  

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Lure-Making/Shop-By-Product-Category/Jigs-Spinnerbaits-Buzzbaits/Jigs/Bass-Jigs/WeedlessBassJigs/ClassicSeries?page=1

This one would be my suggested one.  https://www.lurepartsonline.com/1826-Super-Stroke-Swim-Jig-5pk

As for the grub, you are going to have more issues.  Because there are two pictures, each looking different, you will need to do some searching on the web and "roll the dice".  This looks well fished, so we don't know if there was a color fade. 

I would never agree to make some for a customer that was a perfect match, but I am sure you can get close enough for the fish. 

9 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I believe Hillbilly is correct.  I zoomed in as much as possible and I am sure that it is marabou spun on the shank and bucktail over it.  The material Flyman is talking about is not it, but it would be an upgrade for sure.

As for colors, the two pictures are so different that it is clear that you will need to take it with you to a local store to match (never possible completely).  The jig head is an old head that I have not seen for some time, but lureparts.com has some that would be close, and even an update as well.  

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Lure-Making/Shop-By-Product-Category/Jigs-Spinnerbaits-Buzzbaits/Jigs/Bass-Jigs/WeedlessBassJigs/ClassicSeries?page=1

This one would be my suggested one.  https://www.lurepartsonline.com/1826-Super-Stroke-Swim-Jig-5pk

As for the grub, you are going to have more issues.  Because there are two pictures, each looking different, you will need to do some searching on the web and "roll the dice".  This looks well fished, so we don't know if there was a color fade. 

I would never agree to make some for a customer that was a perfect match, but I am sure you can get close enough for the fish. 

I should have added a pic without the grub. Was the video helpful?

Close is probably good enough, and probably even better than the original.

Edited by Dirtyeggroll

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Might want to add your location because there is builders from all over the world on here

"Was the video helpful?"  Yes, the video was helpful, but because the camera kept refocusing in it kind of hurt my old eyes.

Yes, we do have people from one end of this big old earth to another.  Hillbilly is right again.

It's a Do-It poison tail. The marabou is tied on first then the buck tail is cinched . After that the flash (yellow pearl) or synthetic is added . Finished tying the throat and clear coat the threads. Epoxy in the weed guard, Add  grub of choice. Looks like Brown top hair , bottom hair olive. Can't tell on the marabou  but if I was going to put it in there It would be black to complement the other colors.

Awh shucks I ain't no master at nothing. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think I ever charged 10 bucks for a jig. But that thing has them dang Gamy hooks in it I bet . E.C. and Mustad have served me well all these years . Never lost a fish from breaking or bending . But then my fish usually just have a head and a tail hanging from my hand when I get the hook out.