lurepainter

questions on airbrushing lucky craft type lures

Hi All,

I recently bought some airbrush materials and createx paints. Im looking to touch up some existing rapalas and lucky crafts, and am wondering if they can be just painted over, or is some sort of primer required and a start from scratch approach needed?

I also have epoxy with clear hardener, or is there a type of clear coat used via the airbrush that is preferred?

Thank you!

In my experience if you're going to repaint the entire lure then a light roughing up can be done although I've painted over clearcoat without doing this with no problem. The common thing is to wipe it down with alcohol to get any hand oils off of it.

I don't know of any airbrushing clearcoats that are suitable for final finish. There are many other options and the epoxy you have is one good one.

Epoxy will not work on suspending jerkbaits… It is a thick and heavy clear that makes you bait sink like a rock. KBS Diamond Clear works much better. But I wont spray it through my brush's. I'll dip or quickly brush it on and hang or turn. If you are painting topwater or crankbaits, Epoxy might be fine for you. I don't like thick clear coats as it will rob some action.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 21xdc said:

Epoxy will not work on suspending jerkbaits… It is a thick and heavy clear that makes you bait sink like a rock. KBS Diamond Clear works much better. But I wont spray it through my brush's. I'll dip or quickly brush it on and hang or turn. If you are painting topwater or crankbaits, Epoxy might be fine for you. I don't like thick clear coats as it will rob some action.  

Thanks for this bit of info. I wasn't aware of that issue. Good point.