cisarc2

Making Homemade Stencils

I have watched some videos using plastic, heat guns, and vacuums to melt plastic over a blank to make homemade stencils. So far, I haven't been super successful at that technique. I went searching for another and I know I posted another video/topic to use Play-Doh to help conceal eyes during the painting process. Well this week I took it further and decided to test the waters on molding the entire bait and letting it dry after cutting. And to my surprise, it was remarkable. There are a few properties of Play-Doh that make perfect and not perfect at the same time, but with a couple tricks I have learned from you guys I have sealed each stencil in super glue which adds a ton of durability to each stencil. I wanted to share in hopes to give you all at tip and trick that could be beneficial to you all if you are looking to make a certain pattern and speed up painting times without needing a ton of tape or a 3D printer. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, seakarp said:

Nice.

I just got some sculpty bake dry clay to mess with as a way to make a quick original for molding, but I like this type of use

as well. Thanks for sharing that.

That's a great idea as well. It has been great so far. I just used it for a jerk bait to cut out a baby bass stencil and it worked quite well.

12 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

I wonder if you can dip in KBS.

Wayne

I actually was planning on trying that this weekend. I think I will try a brush on coat of it first and see how it reacts & holds up. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!