Taxin_that_bass

Midwest Finesse Mold Question

Previously i had been using the worm nose jig mold but the double lead barb just doesn't work well with the TRD baits so i finally broke down and got a midwest finesse mold.  I poured a couple test jigs the other night and the first thing i noticed is that on the smaller jigs there is very little lead contacting the hook.  With a small amount of force you can easily deform the lead and make the head loose on the hook.  I see the mold recommends harder lead for the smaller jig sizes. 

What are you guys doing for this issue?  I haven't painted any yet but i'd guess some good paint properly hardened will help the issue but i'm not certain?  Is there something i can add to my lead to make it harder or would i need to drain the pot and get some harder lead?

I don't know what kind of pot you are using but you can add some super hard alloy https://www.rotometals.com/super-hard-alloy-metal-ingot-5-pounds-30-antimony-70-lead/  .  It use to be available in nuggets but now they only have the 5lb ingots. If you are using a 10lb pot add 1.5 to 2 pounds of this and your heads will be fine. You will need to increase the temp you pour at but it will work fine. Powder painting and then curing the painted head will also help.

• Like 1

When I got the  the Midwest finesse head, I was very unhappy. To this day it is not the the best mold I like to pour, but it is what it is. You have to adapt if you want to pour the really small size. :Like mentioned above harder lead and cured powder paint. On this mold I pour straight hard lead, however this is not for everyone. You have to pour the lead really hot. By doing this you will get really good pours and the hook seems to hold better. Also I noticed the hotter the lead, the mold has a tendency to get really hot and tends to deform a bit. So if you are only pouring a hundred no problem, but if you pour 500 at a crack or more, it is a good idea to let the mold cool. Anyways, good luck

• Like 2