Ocean_lizard

Soft plastic colorant

Hi, I am looking to expand my business into soft plastics I have done a ton of research on the process and have buddy that has done it in the past but before I dump Tuns of cash do anybody have any experience with dead on plastics, or do-it as a comparison on the plastisol and colorant from these two companies and which do you prefer or maybe another supplier. Thank you 

I haven’t used dead on, I settled on bait plastics. But I have used the doit essentials and it’s garbage, yellowed super easy, bubbles like crazy, and the finished baits got super oily after a little while (I didn’t like that).

bait plastics is awesome, stays true to color after many reheats, barely any bubbles, and it’s cheap(ish). Haven’t tried their colors, most of what in use is from Lureworks 

Here is a link to a "plastic 101" post on the Custombaits site.

https://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=2518.0

What brands work best? No easy answer here (as you will see in the article). If you don't have strict temperature control, you probably want a brand with lots of heat stabilizer in it...but there are negatives to that too (not the least is hard packing!). 

Baits that get sticky or cloudy? You didn't get the plastic (regardless of brand) up to 350 so that it completely "changed state". Don't forget to stir it so all the plastic is 350 F.

Don't forget to "remix" your plastic between session...or all sorts of problems occur! Don't shake it (and add bubbles!). I rotate it slowly for a minute or so. Any time I walk by my work area I try to remember to rotate the bottle (or box).

You can always add stabilizer to you plastic as you reheat. I avoid that by only heating a cup at a time, but if I'm trying to do a light color I squirt in some stabilizer after the 2nd heat.  After 3 reheats (no matter what brand I'm using) I put the remainder in the left over bucket.

Every once in awhile I cut up all the scrap plastic, add some fresh plastic, and make black or dark green baits with some fresh glitter. 

I use Essential plastic and MF. Both have been good to me.  All of them have their advantages and trade offs!  It's all about developing a good repeatable process that works for you.

• Like 1