DGagner

German website bait design for different movements

I found this German website that describes hard bait making. I put the  page through the Google translation filter and it reads pretty good. I hope it translates okay for you.

The interesting part starts near the bottom with step 15. It describes the effect on bait movement for weighting location, bill size/angle/shape and placement, eye loop/line placement and a bunch of other stuff and how it makes a lure dive, wobble, run straight, etc.

The translated website is here.

• Like 1

Good article, but I do not agree with the whole process.

I believe that the process starts with a desire for a particular. action. movement, depth, speed and so on.

Some research as to what configurations contribute towards those qualities.

The result is a collection of ballast positions, lip angles, lip widths, tow eye positions, hardware distributions and so on.

I will then draw a body around the hardware and develop a lure.

Most designers start off with a pretty shape and then try to make it work. Sometimes this strategy is successful. But, understanding the mechanics is more important.

Decide what you want to achieve. Sort out the mechanics, then design al shape around that works.

Dave

• Like 1

I'm sort of guilty of designing a pretty lure then make the hardware in and around it and keep my fingers crossed. I'm learning what works and what doesn't as I make bait after bait. The site I posted does something that I can't seem to find anyplace, or at least not complete, just in pieces. The result is that most information is very vague and disjointed.

I like the information because it seems to be sort of a baseline. Maybe less hit or miss bait making if I at least keep within some boundaries.

• Like 1