Bassbme

soft plastic eyes

Just wondering if anyone has tried the soft plastic eyes from Lureworks, and what are your thoughts on them? Do they look as good as the more standard hardish plastic type of eye?

If you had a choice of ease of installation (Mend It versus super glue) or more realistic looking, which would you choose? Personally I would lean heavily towards as realistic looking as I can get. I know the fish probably wouldn't see much of a difference, but I would. lol

Your bait looks good, you fish it with more confidence. At least I do. Of course I've caught some nice fish on some pretty ugly baits. Anyhow.... Lureworks soft plastic eyes ..... yay or nay?

Thanks guys !!!

Edited by Bassbme

If you go with the soft eyes use HH-66 for gluing them on. Same stuff as Mend-it but a lot cheaper. Last can I bought was $7.95 with free shipping on amazon. We use the flat stick on eyes on our swim baits then coat & fill the eye socket with HH-66. Holds the eyes in really well with no need to clear dip.

• Like 1

wallyc14 and hpssports, thanks a lot for your replies. I really appreciate them. wallyc, it's hard to tell from the pictures offered on Lurecraft's web site, just how realistic those eyes look. Judging from what I can tell, I'm thinking not very. I am looking to use them on drop shot baits, in at times, some pretty clear water, so the fish will get a good look at them. And as I said in my first post, probably not going to make much if any difference to the fish, but it does for me.

hpssports, I just tried using the 3D eyes that I have and encapsulating them in Mend It, (I have it on hand) It worked well, but man that Mend It stuff stinks, and I know from past experience that it retains its smell for a pretty long time. Does the HH-66 not stink as much as Mend It? And does it lose its smell any faster? If so it's definitely something I will use.

Again, thank you guys for your replies. I really appreciate them.

hpssports, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm going to give that stuff a shot. I never really used Mend It until I started making my own baits. Just always put on a new bait when it got tore up. I needed it for making baits because a couple of the masters I've made molds from are Frankenstein baits. Mend It works great for that. After making the master, I put it in a plastic sandwich bag to save for later.

Anyhow, I glued eyes on some baits to try it out, and I left the baits out on my work bench. The smell is almost zero. Still a little bit of smell, but nothing like when its only a couple of days old. I'm going to use it and let the baits sit out for a few days before I bag them up.

And you aren't kidding about the HH-66 being a lot cheaper than Mend it. Thank you for that recommendation. It's definitely the way to go.