ddl

80g of scrap and always a golden film at the top

is that normal to removed 80g of trash from pseudo pure lead ingot  ? to give u an idea the lee furnace was just nearly fully loaded  ,so imo 80g seems to be a lot no ? and  why that golden rainbow film ?

the pour was not easy at all

mard.jpg

marde.jpg

Edited by ddl

I’m no metallurgist but there’s a in depth conversation the last couple pages on contamination, color, temperature, fluxing of course, and oxidation up in the best lead flux thread. It might give you some idea about what’s going on. Did you flux that lead well before you put it in your pot? And what are you using for flux?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ddl said:

hey

no flux ,was a brand new lee at 9

I think you should empty your pot and start over. First, never put lead in your pot that hasn’t been fluxed and cleaned unless you trust the source like you trust your best friend. Flux it 2 or 3 times. Scrape off the impurities with a ladle, stainless steel large spoon works well. Pigmetal spoon from Walmart does not. Lots of info on flux in the best lead flux thread. I use gulf wax parrafin  from your grocery store. Readily available.  Do it outside. Lots of smoke. After you have cleaned your lead only then it goes in your pot. From there, still some learning curve. That’s a start, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ddl said:

babbitt is that the thing they add into the weel lead  ?

ingot have been sell to me as pure soft lead. it was my first pour ever ,it was not nice

One of the things they put in wheel weights . Thing is wheel weights will ruin your pot . Some of it is is corrosive and can eat pits in the crucible . Wheel weights have no. on them . Some of the manufactures have list of the material in a weight . Been a long time since I tried to look up any of that stuff. 

• Like 2

That looks like Zinc contamination to me. If you don't get that out of your pot it will render it unusable as it will cause holes in the liner. I found that out the hard way, you need to be careful when buying lead. I get most of my lead from Rotometals but I bought some very good lead with 3% antimony from Davis bait company.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ddl said:

how it could ruin my pot,mine got no sinkhole . is that normal to already got that brown color that look like rust ? 

If it is zinc contamination it will ruin your pot even if it isn't a bottom pour. The zinc will corrode the liner and when that happens the pot is no longer usable. I had that happen a long time ago and the lead looked just like that and it seemed to have a heavier viscosity than normal. If you don't believe it will harm your pot then contact LEE and they will tell you. 

• Like 1