Bassbme

mark poulson

18 baits and only 1 that had any hint of a dent. And that it because it was the bait closest to the sprue of the mold, and I didn't have enough plastic in the injector. Once again a huge thank you to Mark for his help.

And a huge thank you to all the members that have given me help and offered suggestions on any of my threads. Your thoughts and input are appreciated more than you can know.

This place is the Rodbuilding.org of bait making. I love this place !!!

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, Bassbme said:

Mark, I wasn't sure if you check back on threads that you've commented in before, so I made this thread just to say, Thank you !! The advice you offered me in my injection mold problem thread was spot on!

Trying to keep the story short ... I tried opening the gate up a bit and added a vent channel with a hole drilled at its end, at the nose of the bait. It didn't help at all. In fact it made it worse. The vent wouldn't let me build up any pressure in the mold, and I think it actually caused the gate to cool closed more quickly. So I got the Dremel out again and really went to town on opening up that gate. I didn't quite take it to the entire width of the runner (but I will) but it's almost there. I left the hole I drilled at the end of the nose vent channel plugged with plastic, and shot the mold again. Almost perfect !!!

When I opened up the mold, the now funnel shaped gate was actually hollow. Opening it up that much allowed the bait to pull in more hot plastic. Which is what the problem most likely was from the very beginning. Your advice to me tells me you knew exactly what the problem was. And you told me how to fix it.

I can't thank you enough for steering me in the right direction. I really wanted this bait to be right. And you made that possible. Once again. Thank you. Your help is truly appreciated.

I'm glad it worked out.  I don't think you can make a mistake that most of us haven't already made.  Everything I know about bait making I learned here on TU from generous members willing to share their knowledge.

• Like 2