Don't think it makes much of a difference to be honest.  The industry can no longer rely on baby boomers so the need to step into modern day shopping, advertising, and marketing is needed.  With social media today plenty of individuals make it with that as the only form of advertising and marketing.  You just need to have the right personality.

I am surprised they continue ICAST to be honest as typically cost associated with the events aren't recouped by many of the participants.

ICAST as a virtual event should perhaps be a secondary thing, not the primary.  For a long time, the event has focused on showing the product to the planners and buyers, not the consumers, so having a more hands on, more of a touchy/feeley event is still important.  Restricting the event to the buyers and planners just increased consumer hype.

In my store I have lots of people that come in with a picture or video of what they want, and when they see it in person, they choose something else completely.  Sometimes it is the packaging, sometimes the hands on simply does not live up to the hype from the virtual presentation.  Sometimes the product simply does not live up to the personality that shows it.  That is why I tell my customers I am a teacher, not a salesman: I would rather sell them what they understand and will/can use than something trendy and expensive.

I'm not saying that we should not augment the physical with a virtual, quite the opposite, but watching the demographics of the fisherman and fisher-women in my store tell me that the days of only using virtual presentations are a long way off.  Remember, those of us old enough had catalogs, like Herter's, or Sears, or Montgomery Wards, and they gave way to the box stores.  The current generation has gone to the on-line catalog but returns are high because of it.  The pendulum is swinging one way now, but it will swing the other way again, then back....and forth.... and .....

So, for this year, there may not be a choice, but I predict that the results will be disappointing.  If I were presenting a new product, and had to get it out as soon as possible to get ahead of the curve/others, I would present it virtually.......BUT, if I could hold off a year and show it in person (assuming we would actually be able to do that next year), I would hold off.

Just my opinion, but I do believe my opinion is based on good observations and actual experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering from the picture menu, you are always disappointed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every virtual image was accompanied with REAL video of the lures action. If I was going to sell a lure, this would always be my strategy.

Dave

I don't know Dave, cashew nut chickens pretty good. But I would definitely expect anybody wanting any credibility at Icast this year would definitely have a demo ready, but then again the problem with the preemptive demo is it will be flawless. I would much rather be on that platform with the big tank and I would love the honor to demonstrate and talk through the variety of fishing methods in which I would be doing at that very moment. And any flaw in my design, I would point out. Because in actuality it would just be my opinion . And I'm a nobody ,  I'm just a Long Haired Country Boy from Alabama .  But I know intellectual Showmanship, knowing my design inside and out. every little vorticy distributed through gentle thrusts can be washed away by one single vortex caused by a rapid Rising then Fall. And if I would be able do that with integrity and passion in which courses through my veins. I don't figure this old country boy would need to "sell" much

3 minutes ago, Shepherd said:

I don't know Dave, cashew nut chickens pretty good. But I would definitely expect anybody wanting any credibility at Icast this year would definitely have a demo ready, but then again the problem with the preemptive demo is it will be flawless. I would much rather be on that platform with the big tank and I would love the honor to demonstrate and talk through the variety of fishing methods in which I would be doing at that very moment. And any flaw in my design, I would point out. Because in actuality it would just be my opinion . And I'm a nobody ,  I'm just a Long Haired Country Boy from Alabama .  But I know intellectual Showmanship, knowing my design inside and out. every little vorticy distributed through gentle thrusts can be washed away by one single vortex caused by a rapid Rising then Fall. And if I would be able do that with integrity and passion in which courses through my veins. I don't figure this old country boy would need to "sell" much

Absolutely right.

Dave

• Like 1