Fern

Adding a treble to soft plastic baits

Hey all! 

I started making these shad style swimbaits and I was hoping someone here could help me out with the best technique to adding a treble hook under the belly similar to the Storm Shad swimbaits. I thought about maybe threading fishing line through the nose and under the belly but I was hoping there was a better method or some type of wireform I could buy that would make this super easy.  

IMG_9502.JPG

Storm-WRSS-8695.jpg

I don’t like the storm system because I have had big pike tear off the treble hook. They poured the hook hanger into fairly soft lead and it has no other connection to the single hook you tie too. This is not an issue for smaller species but larger fish will tear the hook out at times 

If you are going to make an internal harness weight system I would improve the storm system.by running the wire from the hook hanger up so it connects to the single hook then cast it in lead

the other option is external. Run a small chunk of wire leader material between the single and treble. Add a corkscrew to hold into the bell of the bait or just use one of the barbs on the treble 

These are two options off the top of my head. If the external system interests you there are a ton of options. If you do a google search on how musky and pike guys rig swimbaits you will find some ideas for sure

• Like 1

From Europe with sympathy, here you are a system really strong, called 360° rig without wire.

If you need to position the treble hook more close to the tail, then you can put a pc. of single wire between the jig hook curve and the swivel, of course the 2 wire loops must be crimped really well.

Bye

Cami

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cami said:

From Europe with sympathy, here you are a system really strong, called 360° rig without wire.

If you need to position the treble hook more close to the tail, then you can put a pc. of single wire between the jig hook curve and the swivel, of course the 2 wire loops must be crimped really well.

Bye

Cami

Cami, 

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for. I believe this will work extremely well for what I am trying to do. Thanks again.