Computer circuit board for lips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angling777

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:14 PM

I have another question, I am new to this. Does anyone know where and what kind of computer circuit board that is used in many crankbaits made in Tennessee and the surrounding states. Where would a person go about buying that? It looks like it might be easier also to work with than Lexan due to the difficulty in cutting Lexan. I have gone to Radio Shack and several wholesale computer places looking for it but all that I find is too thick or not the right kind (green instead of tan colored). Thanks in advance!

#2 Skeeter

Advanced Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:17 PM

OK, this is just my opinion and I will probably get blasted for it....... but computer board for a lip looks like crap in a crank. It is no easier to work with than lexan. I have played with a piece of it and it will get the job done. However, just get some .060 lexan or polycarbonate and use it.
You cut lexan with a fine tooth saw blade and leave the plastic or paper coating on it when you cut it. This makes it much easier to draw on and keeps the edges smooth. I am really not sure where folks get it. And you are right..... it seems to be a Tn. thing. But computer board will also wear alot quicker than lexan. It is breakable also.

#3 blackjack

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

Skeeter is right they do look like crap!! But in certain parts of the Country(Tenn. Kentucky, And certain parts of Alabama) the guys love them. I use when requested. I found a semitransparent version that is not as gaudy that I work with. I purchased it from a company in Penn. It is known in the industry as GRADE G-10 FR4 -- GLASS EPOXY. If you go to Google.com and type in the industry name about 20 or 30 manufacturers will show up. Most have an 800 # give em a call an order a sheet. It comes in various thicknesses .040 is a good starting point.It is also alot tougher to cut. I will say this the circuit board does give the bait a different action and it does get a diving bait down deeper quicker. But as far as asthetics Lexan is the way to go!!!

#4 Tenacfan

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 02:31 PM

I'm from Tn, and I'll have to agree with skeeter. That's the most the annoying thing is to have a great looking bait and someone say it looks great, but can you put a computer board lip in it. They say it also has more vibration, but i've fished with both lexan and cb lips in my own baits and can't tell much difference. I do know if you fish alot of rip rap that cb lips will wear down faster than lexan. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.
Good Luck