DGagner

Windshield washer fluid as airbrush cleaner?

I got tired of buying and paying for air brush cleaner. Looking online there are various recipes for homemade cleaner. Most include alcohol and some type of detergent. Someone uses windshield washer fluid. It seems it has alcohol and detergents in it.  I've been using it for awhile now. You know the $2.99 stuff. Mine is blue. I'm finding that in between color changes and at the end of a spray session it's been working well. Regular window cleaners often have ammonia in them which I guess will damage the chrome finish on the brush so they are not recommended. But the car stuff doesn't have ammonia and seems to work for me. three bucks for a gallon instead of fifteen bucks for several ounces was a great incentive to try it.

Anyone else have any experience trying this?

Hey I don’t know what’s in brush cleaners or windshield washer fluids but I think brush cleaner contains emulsifiers intended to soften and loosen hardened paint from internal passages in a brush as it is soaked for some hours.  I don’t think using it as a between-color flush is optimal considering its cost so your idea of using windshield fluid instead is a good one.  But I’d still soak my brush several times a year in cleaner to insure function.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ravenlures said:

When I am brushing I have a ice cream bucket with hot soapy water and when I change colors I just run my brush through the water till clean, and when done for the day just blow the water till clean.

Wayne

I tried that with just water with mixed results. The soap must make the difference. I'm going to give it a shot... thanks.

• Like 1

I use ammonia-free Windex, and water with just a little dishwashing liquid soap for my everyday cleaning when I'm painting, and Createx Airbrush Restorer for my bi-monthly deep soak and clean (I do it when I think the airbrush isn't shooting well).  I find that back flushing in warm, clean water between colors, and wiping down my needle after each painting session, are key to keeping my airbrush clean and spraying well.

• Like 2

I'm new to airbrushing and I've been using window cleaner with no problems yet, I remove the needle at the end of every session and give that a wipe down. I'm only using a cheap Chinese gun at the moment I suppose if I move up to a high end brush then I'll take things more seriously ,

We have gallons of gun cleaner here at work that they use in our furniture spray shop but it's pretty potent smelling stuff,  I'll have to look at what it contains it could be useful for deep cleaning .

Edit to add ...these are the two cleaners they use ...any good? 

20200626_102216_compress38.jpg

20200626_102232_compress34.jpg

Edited by Kanny

I'm with Mark on this one.  I found some ammonia free window cleaner (it wasn't windex brand), and/or soapy water back flushes for between colors.  And Airbrush restorer for a deep clean once in a while or if the performance drops.   Lots of questions on airbrushes not spraying right on the other FB forums, but most of them are not doing the deep clean.  Airbrush restorer works wonders for cleaning out the tight spaces.  I haven't experimented with sonic cleaners, but I don't paint enough to warrant one of those.    Restorer isn't really cheap either (or easy to find for me), but just soak the components and pour the solution back into the bottle.  I've been using a 4 oz bottle now for quite a while  lol.  

• Like 1

After watching these responses after originally making this thread. Someone mentioned detergents. Tonight as I was painting a bait i put some simple green in a gallon container of water. Between paint colors I put my brush in the container and pulled the trigger. I did wipe the excess paint out of the cup though. The brush became clean. I was able to just spray out the excess in the brush and go on with my next color. I did put a small amount of fluid in the cup though to make sure there was no detergent residue in the brush.

Simple green is a good cleaner and is supposed to be people safe and you can dump it on the lawn afterwards with no harm. So I don't think it would have any adverse effect on the brush.

• Like 1

Straight alcohol for t shirt paint while painting and keeping a gun for each color that is mainly used avoids alot of color change cleans if you can afford that which is pretty expensive but you can keep the bottle in the brush overnight and the paint won't dry by next business day so just average maintenance is sufficient but a deep clean two or three times a year is most effective I need something for paint that has dried from the intake to the dang tip very  very dry .