Shepherd

Big Feather Jigs

I am a rookie fly tyer. Was wondering if anybody have a good demonstration on a big feather jigs on 3/4 and 1 oz jig heads..? I'm talking about from the tip of the weight to the tip of the last feather would be roughly 5 1/2 to 7 in. I predominantly want to Tie White feathers, what feathers would y'all suggest? Thanks for any feedback

Looks like it has had a ruff life lol

About half way or even closer to the back of the hook tie in some saddle hackle feathers for the tail. Then spin strung marabou around the hook to create the collar. Probably 2-3 good size marabou feathers will do

If you want after breakfast I can tie up a jig of similar style and post a pic that would likely treat you well. If you’re interested in it I can add material list so you could make your own

• Thanks 1

Thats what im talkin about! Beautiful...i took some screen shots so i have some reference. Is there anything I could help you out with or anything I could do for you taking the time to show me and teach me something new. I plan on smacking them off the ledges this bad boy

I appreciate it Hillbilly my old baseball coach is a fly fishing guide around here, he's teaching me how to tie these big feather jigs based on your info. I will send you the pics of the Giant Smallmouth I'll be yanking off the ledges. Thanks again bud

Edited by Shepherd
  • Thanks 1

Well Hillbilly, ive tied a few now. This is my fist one. Not as pretty as yours, but it caught some fish. Ive gotten much better. But i thought you might get a laugh at this one i called Genesis... as you can see I didn't start the feathers till past halfway the hook. Give me your honest opinion about my first try and then I'll post my last one I tied. Still not as pretty as yours but very similar. And one more thing hillbilly, what is your opinion on using like real turkey feathers, owl feathers, Hawk, goose, hummingbird,

0912200239.jpg