Tiderunner

Swim Jig Hooks

Benn using Mustad 32886 Hooks for my swim jigs, and I have to say, the quality of the hooks leaves something to be desired.

The eyes are crooked, bent, missing altogether, The beak off when removing excess paint. They're really just junk.

Any suggestion on another quality hook I can use without having to modifying the mold? There has got to be something better.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:21 PM, Munkin said:

Gamakatsu 345 that lurepartsonline sells is the best I have used.  Never tried the Eagle Claw ones.

Allen 

Will these fit those 2 molds without modification?

Sorry took so long to get back to y'all. Been tied up. Getting ready to send in an order.Really don't want those Mustad hooks again

17 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Will these fit those 2 molds without modification?

Sorry took so long to get back to y'all. Been tied up. Getting ready to send in an order.Really don't want those Mustad hooks again

Not sure about the other mold but they do fit the casting jig mold.

Allen

18 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

I have the Do It casting jig mold SMJ-3-MF

And the Weighted Hook moldSMB-4--MTD

and using Mustad hook 32886BLN

I just skimmed your post, I'm sorry. The Gami 345, Eagle Claw 3886, and VMC 7216 will fit the casting jig mold, I'm not sure about the weighted hook mold

23 minutes ago, Tiderunner said:

The weighted hook is basically the casting jig mold without the body if the hook fits one it should fit the other I’ll place an order tonight for the Gami 345  never knew the existed until now 

thanks for the help

Just looked up the weighted hook mold.  I have this one and have been using VMC 30 degree EWG hooks with this one.  Let me find the model number. 

Allen 

On 8/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Tiderunner said:

I started using the Gamo 346 seems much more solid and able to take more abuse than the mustad hook I was using. Theyre not perfect for the molds, but with a bit of wiggling around they work just fine.

Thanks for the tips everyone

About 50% of the Mustads I used broke but the Gama has about a 5% break ratio and are much sharper.

Allen

23 hours ago, Munkin said:

About 50% of the Mustads I used broke but the Gama has about a 5% break ratio and are much sharper.

Allen

Funny, but I've had the opposite experience, at least with jig hooks.  The Gamakatsu hooks must be fired much harder, or made with a harder steel, I guess, because I've had the eyes break when I tried to open them with an awl to make bladed baits.  The Mustad hook eyes don't break.

1 hour ago, mark poulson said:

Funny, but I've had the opposite experience, at least with jig hooks.  The Gamakatsu hooks must be fired much harder, or made with a harder steel, I guess, because I've had the eyes break when I tried to open them with an awl to make bladed baits.  The Mustad hook eyes don't break.

About 1 in 25 of the Gama 345 break for me but the Mustad 32886 is at least 50%.

Allen