Newbie04

Soft Bait Runners

For home use, plastic is a reasonably low cost consumable a gallon goes a long way (OK after you get past the newbie tendency to make 50 of each color).

Glitters, colorants and molds will eat money in job lots 

But runners do make sense where you can't ship liquids 

I get managing the budget but there are times when spending the money will make the hobby more enjoyable.  Odd things happen to plastic, glitter and colors after it's been heated once or twice. Fresh plastic is more dependable in how it reacts so you get better results than from re-melt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Les Young said:

If  you do buy plastic & buy 5 gallons a time you will have all kinds of remeltable sprues after a  little while.  I keep mine in left over coffee cans  (atleast 20) under the bench in my garage & use it as needed.

10 minutes ago, aulrich said:

For home use, plastic is a reasonably low cost consumable a gallon goes a long way (OK after you get past the newbie tendency to make 50 of each color).

Glitters, colorants and molds will eat money in job lots 

But runners do make sense where you can't ship liquids 

I get managing the budget but there are times when spending the money will make the hobby more enjoyable.  Odd things happen to plastic, glitter and colors after it's been heated once or twice. Fresh plastic is more dependable in how it reacts so you get better results than from re-melt.

Thank you both for the advise, I will work on my variety of molds and soon hopefully get 5 gallons to use. Do you have any suggestions for molds and plastisol? 

There is all kinds of molds for them & if that's what you use most then for sure buy them first. I throw brush hogs & super hogs a lot so my first mold was the bastackle 4.5 bt flipping hog( brush hog. My next two were Delmart 4"shz molds( super hog) then it escalated from there. Now i have a bunch of different ones & several different jig trailer molds too. Main thing is to not go to crazy or you'll spend some major bucks way quicker than you want to. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Les Young said:

There is all kinds of molds for them & if that's what you use most then for sure buy them first. I throw brush hogs & super hogs a lot so my first mold was the bastackle 4.5 bt flipping hog( brush hog. My next two were Delmart 4"shz molds( super hog) then it escalated from there. Now i have a bunch of different ones & several different jig trailer molds too. Main thing is to not go to crazy or you'll spend some major bucks way quicker than you want to. :whistle:

Thank you for the information. I may get some silicone open pour molds from lurecraft because they are less money and I don't need an injector or two to laminate. 

I tried the silicone molds, but never liked the baits from them because they didn't seem to get as firm as those from aluminum to me. This could have all been in my mind however.   I got rid of mine, but if i buy any more they'll more then likely be the composite ones. I have some of the artificial stone molds & the finish isn't as bright & shiny as the aluminum molds, but they make very good lures. You can tweak your recipe & make them look pretty much identical.  I make a lot of jig trailers out of them & make  colors like  zooms ruby red, sapphire blue, green pumpkin & rootbeer  pepper green  & they look just as good & pretty much identical to them.  The do-it essential series molds are also a  very good affordable option. The lures won't be as shiny  as a cnc machined mold, but every bit as good a lure.

Edited by Les Young

On 7/1/2020 at 10:55 AM, Newbie04 said:

Thank you for the information. I may get some silicone open pour molds from lurecraft because they are less money and I don't need an injector or two to laminate. 

Newbie04  I have sent you a message about some molds I have to sell.

• Like 1