squirtjwr

Airbrushing Soft Plastics (Newbie)

As the title suggests, I am a newbie at this. With that said, I just have a couple basic questions about airbrushing soft plastic baits. I know there are a few custom painters out there that are focused on painting for the public, but I am only focused on painting for myself. I have purchased a Master Airbrush kit to start with and here are some of my questions. 

1. What kind of paint would be the best? I know the water based paints would require to be re-dipped to protect the colors, is there another paint that makes the process easier? 

2. Where is the best place to buy these paints?

3. Respirator...?

4. What to make stands out of for painting? ( Thin paneling and Brad nails?)

Any information or links to previous posts that you can provide would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

The paint made for painting soft plastics is available from Spikeit ( lureworks). They offer a water based version which like you said needs to have a top coat but does not need to be dipped. You can clear with there solvent based version. The reason for this is not to protect the colors it is to keep them from sticking together. There water based paint will do that. 
  With the solvent based will not require the top coat but will let you know that a respirator will be needed. It has a smell that will clear out your garage when you smell it. Now don’t get me wrong anytime you atomize anything you should wear a respirator. 
 For holding your baits it’s is a good idea to leave on the Sprue to hold the nose and possibly just that might work for you. If not I have used long finishing nails In a piece of wood  to pierce the belly of the bait. If it has a hook slot the a piece of sheet metal with an angle bent like a t will be another option. 
   One thing that is over looked and causes more trouble than anything else is the airbrush. Most airbrushes come with a needle that is to small and dries on the tip which causes it to clog. You mentioned you bought a master airbrush. That has to be my go to airbrush even though I have some really high end ones. The reason for this is that it has a huge needle (.8) and will spray any of these paint with ease. Some might say that’s to big but it is adjustable so I turn it down when I need and up to give me more fluid. So in my experience that is the most important thing to have. Unless you like cleaning your airbrush more than actually using it. I have painted for the public and just for me so not sure if there’s any difference other than what I just stated. 

• Like 1