fishing_marshall

Clearcoat Question?

F/M, if you painted the baits with acrylic laquer,then you can certainly use clear laquer.Coley and Richoc are right.You cannot manually brush the clear laquer.The reason is the Clear Laquer "re-wets" the previously painted surface of the bait and brushing will only pull the paint off.

If you dont have an airbrush then you can use Sparr Urethane and brush it on.For the best results with Sparr dip the bait and hang to dry.(I advise dipping)The dis advantages to Sparr are that it may turn a slight yellow tint after a while.

If you are using Clear Acrylic Laquer it will dry enough to set for clear in about 20 minutes depending on humidity.

You can let it dry for a year and if you attempt to manually brush the clear it will ruin the paint job.

Oh yeah,you can buy Sparr Urethane at Lowe's/Home Depot Helmsman is the best. Good luck and God Bless

Blades

I also had troubles with the clearcoat that netcraft sells. Trust me, go to wal-mart and buy some devcon 2-ton epoxy (not the quick drying stuff), mix well, brush on, breathe on the airbubbles to pop, and spin slowly until it sets up nicely. This is one of the strongest and prettiest clearcoats you can get, plus it is simple to do.

I'm not sure what Jan's is using for paint or clear coat but I use the clear coat by "COMPONENT" company. (They make the chip proof jig paint.). I use it on component paints,createx and duncan paints. I know I let it dry for 72 hours befor its applied and I do brush it on and then 72 hrs later I brush coat 2 of the clear coat on and it becomes anti scratch. I also use it between paint colors to keep colors from bleeding threw. Its important not to rush paint drying time and have a controlled enviorment conditions. I 'm a believer in the component system products and not a user of Expoxy's of any paint. Two coats of component clear coat by brush will keep your wood lure free of chips and scratches I'm sure . Paint can still shrink or crack under the clearcoat in time if painted to heavy or thick.

Boatnik,

If you are using Vinal as I think you are.

Please be advised to take all mesures to protect your self.

Cause the thinner in that stuff will melt your in sides.

That clear also wil not work over the Laquer, it will do a peeling affect.

Dipping it would be the only way, but it would still orange peel and reset.

Some will get ruined.

You can get a good laquer in a rattle can, at Wal-mart.

Rustoleum brand, just spray light coats.

Use like 3, and it will work.

Just remember that the thinner in your clears melts your colors, and it is best if it is dryed beyond what you think it dry.

The two part epoxy clears will work good for you also.

They will not effect your paint job.

My tag speaks for its self on what I like to use.