mark poulson

Homemade swim jigs

Am I the only one who repurposes my "over bent" spinnerbaits and turns them into swim jigs?  Even though I use 28 gauge wire to reinforce the R bend, the wire is eventually opened up a couple times anyway, and then it's time to retire them, before I lose a good fish when one breaks.  The wire coming out of the head is still plenty strong for this, and it's easy to make a loop bend tight to the head for the line tie.  I use Lurepartsonline spinnerbait blanks, and their heads come through grass and tules really well.

Edited by mark poulson

On 7/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, bryanmc said:

There's something else you can do with them.  I'd tell you but I don't wast to get a cease and desist from the folks at the Z place.  LOL

I've made some of those, too, but I think the Arkie head jigs make a better head for those.  The blade hits that head, but not the thin spinnerbait heads.  That thin head helps the swim jig pass through grass and tules better, too.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:49 AM, Anglinarcher said:

I do once in a while, but I'm normally to lazy and just toss them.  LOL

I just like the paint jobs and wire tied skirts too much to just toss them.  Plus, they have a really good hook, so I reuse them instead of tossing them.  It's really easy to put an eye bend in the wire close to the head, clamp that eye bend into a vise, and then use a pair of needle nose vise grips to do a couple of wraps with the tag end around the base of the eye.  A dremel with a cut off wheel gets rid of excess wire, and, Wham (Deadpool reference), you're done.