bassbaits

How will this mold laminate

Hi Guys,

I'm still new to this game and looking for some advice with a mold.

Will the mold below laminate the colors on top of each other, or side by side? or does it depend on how you orientate the blending block?

I'm super confused about molds with side pour vs top pour 

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.50.12 AM.png

57 minutes ago, basscatlildave said:

It should do either depending om how you rotate your dual injector.

Have to disagree.  It will do a side by side laminate with the dual injector one way but rotating the dual injector will cause one color to block the other.  That's why molds that have to be cut with a side of the bait in each half of the mold (as opposed to top in one half and bottom in the other) that are meant for making laminates will have a port for each cavity.

Edited by bryanmc
  • Like 1

I agree with Bryan. One thing you may try is to block off the sprue by shooting it and removing the first bait. Just cut the runner below the first cavity and re-insert the last two cavities. Now the first cavity will Laminate correctly. You. Still must orient your. Injector correctly.

21 hours ago, Apdriver said:

One thing you may try is to block off the sprue by shooting it and removing the first bait. Just cut the runner below the first cavity and re-insert the last two cavities. Now the first cavity will Laminate correctly.

I think you would still have the issue of one color blocking the other, but I've never actually tried what you're suggesting.

If you really want a "laminate"...shoot the bait in the bottom color (let's say white), then take the bait out of the mold and with a large sharp butcher knife cut the bottom off and reinsert it into the mold, and then inject the top color.

The reason you use a large, sharp butcher knife (most long blades would work), is to get a nice long straight cut.

Not a method to make a hundred of them, but a dozen should go fairly quickly!

Other option isn't a true 50/50 laminate - but in a paddletail swimbait mold I have with the same layout I hand pour a "top" color in each half and leave the mold halves on an angle to let that color setup - key is to angle the halves get the plastic as close as you can to the top edge without going over it.... then close the mold up and shoot the bottom color.  You'll end up with the bottom color on the very top between the two colors you poured.... and technically the "top color" is really more on the shoulder.... but it's not a bad option if you dont want to shoot/cut/reshoot on a mold with that layout.

J.

One thing I do when I look at a mold is visualize, think about where the plastic will go looking at the runner and cavities one one side. So for a core shot, we would pour an ounce or two of hot plastic into the runner followed be an injection. In this mold, that ounce or two would go down that runner, fill the bottom cavity, might get a bit in middle cavity followed by shot. That’s exactly what you would see in final baits. Bottom cavity would be pour color, you might get some core effect in middle cavity, top cavity would be shot color for the most part. That’s why every mold doesn’t do core shots well.

Maybe I am using the wrong term but I was envisioning using a rod to create a cavity  in the plastic to shoot the second color through.

so shoot the body color with the rods in the bait

pull the rods out of the baits trim the body so the the hole runs through the full lenght.

replace bodies back into the mold.

shoot the contrasting color.the plastic goes through the hole in the first color and fills in the tail.

8 hours ago, aulrich said:

Maybe I am using the wrong term but I was envisioning using a rod to create a cavity  in the plastic to shoot the second color through.

so shoot the body color with the rods in the bait

pull the rods out of the baits trim the body so the the hole runs through the full lenght.

replace bodies back into the mold.

shoot the contrasting color.the plastic goes through the hole in the first color and fills in the tail.

I have hand dipped oiled sections of pin flags cut to the  length needed & inserted them into molds then after shooting pulled the pin flags & have a redneck core shot. :D

Edited by Les Young

I am quite new to this but, would it be possible to seal the current entry port on the side and re drill a one on the top. That would make it a top pour, you could always, go back and revers this if it did not work.

Just a thought.