Will Wetline

Sharpie vs. Copic Markers for Barring

It's not a problem for me to tie a bucktail perch pattern jig, but the last step applying the vertical stripes over the yellow bucktail could be improved: the Sharpie markings fade. Is it worth the extra expense to buy a Copic marker? Is Copic ink more colorfast?

Has anyone developed a different method for making these stripes?

Thanks for all input.

Copic markers are alcohol based ink and work well on lure bodies but I never tried them on bucktail. I'll mark some bucktail with the marker later on and let you know. I also have quick coat lure markers which use actual paint rather than ink. I would think they would be really colorfast but I don't know how the paint would go on the hair. I have quick coat lure markers, Copic markers, and sharpies and I always used a sharpie for that. Mostly because the jigs don't last long enough for the stripes wear off completely.  Check back later on, I'll let you know how the markers go on the hair and I'll let them dry and see how each fades in the water side by side with the sharpie.

• Like 1

Will, just stick with the sharpie. The Quick coat marker with the paint is a paint because the hair wants to stick to it so you don't get good overage. The Copic marker works but it takes awhile to dry and while it seems to be a little more colorfast it isn't by leaps and bounds. I was able to clear the sharpie off the hair in 5 minutes and that was after letting the sharpie dry for an hour. The Copic I let dry for the same hour and in the same 5 minute period I didn't get all the color off but I did fade it but these aren't real world test. I know the Copic is expensive but if you aren't using a bunch of colors you can actually get the black marker and then buy a refill bottle and refill the marker when it runs out. 

• Like 1

Thank you, smalljaw.

I'll stick with the Sharpie and if the jig evades the rocks long enough for the markings to fade, I can touch it up. I asked the question because I found a jig I had tied several years ago and had left in a box. It had faded in storage. I brought the stripes back in a couple of minutes with the Sharpie.

I may still get an olive Copic to try because I want to tie a few perch patterns with a sculpin olive bucktail top. 

Thanks again for taking the time for the testing.

WW

Used a Copic G99 Olive marker for the barring. I like the fine point on one end.

I let it dry for a few hours, soaked it, and then dried it out again. Looking at it a week later, it has faded a bit but I'm not going to worry about it - it still suggests a perch to smallmouth and the rocks will still love it.

%233-M.jpg

Edited by Will Wetline