RAVEN

Liquid bed for powder paint

Unfortunately, everything isn't perfect in life. I have powder paints from 20 companies and some work really well, some work OK and some you have to stir like slamminjack mentioned.Even if you buy all from the same company like Pro-tech,  each color has a different chemical make up and some just work better than others.  I believe smalljaw (on this site) mentioned , that if you add clear gloss powder to your current powder it will work much better in a fluid bed. He will probably reply here as well with his experience.

• Like 1

Everything that was mentioned here is true. You will find certain colors work better than others but there are work arounds that can help. Some members, like apdriver, have added vibration motors to their fluid beds to keep the paint from forming volcanos. Cadman is correct, if you add 25% - 30% of clear gloss powder it will help the paint to fluidize better. I think it is because the paints that don't fluidize are due to heavier pigments. The last thing is that even though you are seeing volcanos the paint underneath is still fluidized, just give the cup a little shake or stir and you'll see it.  To summarize, you can just give the fluid bed a quick shake or stir and then dip you jig and it will be fine. Or you can attach a small vibration device to the fluid bed to keep the paint completely fluidized, or you can try adding some clear powder to the paint, 25%. BTW, when you add clear powder, 25% is added to the total, I break down a pound of powder into 2oz jars. So for a 2oz jar of color you would add 1/4oz of clear to give you 2-1/4oz of powder. Mix the paint thoroughly and then add to the fluid bed.

• Like 2