Landry

Alumifoam painting issues??

Hey guys,

wanna design some light (cedar-like) Lake St ClAir muskie trolling baits. I have quite a bit of mold making experience but have never tried Alumifoam. I hear it is similar density to cedar and tough so it would be perfect as the best wandering small musky baits are all made of cedar. 
my two questions are:

1. does it paint and epoxy well?I heard that it is prone to paint/epoxy bubbling issues. I want to keep it light so really only want to use one thin coat of epoxy or diamond coat at the end. I have used crazy glue to seal wood but am guessing it would eat the foam?? 
2. Do you think I could use lead sinker stainless eyes instead of screw eyes? I hear the foam is tough but wasn’t sure if they would stay in with a lot of force?

just wanted to hear if anyone is using this product and if they have had any success covering it 

thanks

landry

Alumifoam is much tougher than cedar.  You can use screw eyes alone, no wire harness, and it will not fail.  When it first came out, I molded up a jointed bait with screw eyes molded in and tied it to Power Pro fishing line.  I than slammed it into concrete and it took about 10 smacks on the end of the rod to the patio before it broke.  I hammered it with a hammer into dirt and it did not damage it.  Can you break it? Yes, with far more effort than any wood.  Larry Dahlberg used it in the Amazon on Rattle trap type lures an it broke teeth off fish instead of breaking the lure.  I caught some 4 and 5 foot shark on a lure I made with it in the Gulf and they left scratches but I never had a hook pull.

Now, as for painting, They can be tough.  I believe that Larry had one of his "Hunt for Big Fish" shows where he painted the inside of the mold before molding it to transfer the color.  I have used Copic alcohol based paint and it worked to a point.  Normally I use white Createx and air brush several thing coats.  I have also used rattle can white to base coat it and that may be the best option.  The foam is hydrophobic so coverage is not easy.  Light coats, build up, then paint.

Super Glue will not eat this foam.  Acetone will not eat it.  In fact, a Dremel Tool has a hard time cutting it, a drill penetrating it.  I made some floating bodies out of it for a friend so he could cut slots and add his own hooks.  My friend sent them back to me.  ROFLOL  He said it was to hard to cut.  

Now, as for bubbles, if you prime it and paint it properly, you won't have bubble problems.  If your prime and paint job is poor, than any top coat will bubble.

• Like 1