RichBaits18

Best wood for jerkbait.

Hi everyone, 

bear with me as I know this was probably discussed multiple times on this forum. I have read as much as I possibly could but never really got a clear answer to my question. 

I have gotten fairly good at making crankbaits but am struggling with choosing the right wood for a jerkbait. I have tried poplar with very poor results. The action im looking for is a consistent wobble on a straight retrieve but also a nice crisp jerk action when ripping the bait. I also will be using a polycarbonate lip. 

I’m testing different ballast locations but would ultimately like a slow rise with the head slightly facing down. 

any suggestions are much appreciated. 

Jim

Edited by RichBaits18

If strictly talking wood the basswood to me is about the ideal wood in regards to carving and bait making.  Guys use all sorts of woods for various reasons.  Basswood carves well, grain is not problematic, allergy friendly wood, cheap in price, readily available, finishes/paints well, not too soft, and just simply easy to use.

Edited by Travis

3 hours ago, turtlela said:

Have you tried western red cedar?  Another wood I like to carve, but may be hard for you to get is tupelo. Should get great action with that wood.  

Hmm. I was working with cedar before I switched to poplar and pine. Might have to go back to it though I should probably start wearing a mask as I have horrible allergic asthma to wood dust and anything with four legs. 

Here at work we buy poplar by the 10s of cubic meters and what I can tell you is poplar has a wide variation in densities, some boards can be light as a feather almost like balsa and some as heavy as oak.

I use poplar for all my baits but I'm lucky enough to be able to pick and choose what I want for a specific job in mind. 

Atb 

Kanny 

Edited by Kanny

All great ideas. I’ll be sure to try to pick up some cedar at my local lumber store. Here’s the start of my newest one made out of pine. 

If I were to duplicate this with cedar, would I need more holes for weight or is this appropriate? It’s a 3/8” forstner bit about 1/4” deep. 

3A68A758-7AD7-474F-9CA2-CDC35E618CEC.jpeg