Elkins45

Why won't these inline spinners work?

I'm not sure why they won't work.  They look close to good.  If I see anything, it might be that the spacing between the silver beads could be a touch more, and a second silver bead below the blade would help to move the blade away from the red bead until it is spinning.  It is hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the shaft is dirty, has something on it, and the shaft needs to be clean, smooth, and polished.

I can't tell what wire or blade sizes the lures have but I'll guess. The first guess is going to be about the smaller spinner on the bottom. I'm seeing a small willow blade but the bait looks to have a heavier wire and a stirrup clevis. Willow blades are harder to get spinning on an in-line spinner but they will work. The one in the picture looks like the wire diameter is making you use a larger clevis and that is the problem. Small willow blades don't have a lot of torque so when you use them they need to be reeled extremely fast to spin. You do have to have the right clevis in order for that to happen though, if the clevis is too big the blade just can't generate enough torque to move the clevis completely around the wire. What you end up with is the blade rocking or wobbling back and forth rather than making full rotations (spinning). If that is the case the lure can't be fixed and you have to start over but I can't say for sure unless I know the wire diameter, blade and clevis size. The larger bait has a couple areas that may be an issue and the first is the skirt. It is out of proportion to the bait size and it might be disrupting water flow coming off the spinner blade keeping it from spinning. The next issue is the paint or whatever the white residue on the wire is, that could be causing a binding issue with the clevis. For that bait I'd clean the wire and then make sure the blade can spin freely. Then I'd take half of the skirt strands off of it and try it again, willow blades are hard to get started and it doesn't take much to affect the way they spin. The other thing is they spin in a tight arc, the skirt material is tied in an umbrella type configuration which makes it flare but pushes it closer to the blade. Just based on that I'm guessing it is causing a major water flow disruption and it is easy to find out if that is the problem. I'm not saying 100% that what I said are the exact issues but that is where I'd begin, good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

The comments about the shaft being dirty are on the money.i had used these wires to hold some bodies when I painted them and didn’t clean them off when I used them to make baits. They have now been scraped clean and will be tried again. The one with the skirt definitely needs to be trimmed, I just didn’t want to ruin a skirt if the bait was bad for some reason...and now it may be that the I trimmed skirt is the reason it is bad :)  

I’ll report results after retesting.

• Like 1

I find that using willow leafs on in-lines can be bad.  You're using Stirrup clevis's and it anytime I've heard this it's the tip of the blade gets stuck in the Clevis.  I'd use a folded clevis and instead of the willow blade get some big swing blades, which have more of a rounded tip.