ddl

is that a good soft near pure lead ?

because this is  mainly what peoples suggest . it is for ultra minnow 4 oz. according to the seller these bars were supposed to be almost pure. but ive got doubt since he tried to sell me a x ray blanket that was gray and full of plastic. i guess i made a good move when ive said no........ why soft one is supposed to be better then ?

I can tell you this I have the Ultra Minnow mold up to 8 oz. This is not the spinnerbait mold, as that one has issues with it being poured with harder lead.  On the regular Ultra-minnow, ( the one you have I have poured 50/50 lead and sometimes 30% soft and 70% hard. The lead will pour into the mold with no issues: So don't sell yourself short. Try the lead you have in the picture above and you might be fine. Here are some things I would do first:

Make sure you coat both side of the cavities you are going to pour with "Drop-Out", This will make your pours fill much easier and you will get very few bad pours.

When you pour make sure that lead is hot. I don't know what your pot is, but when I pour 8 oz ultra-minnow, I use my Lee bottom pour pot for short runs  (about 20 pieces). Any quantities bigger than that I use my RCBS pot. Reason Being, is the RCBS hold twice the amount of lead than my Lee. I would constantly be filling my Lee pot and waiting for the lead to melt.

When you pour the big heads, keep you spout close to the sprue hole when you fill, this will keep the lead from cooling as it goes in the mold.

Finally, after 10 or 15 heads, you mold will get really hot, to the point of the wood handles being hot. So wear gloves,  or let the mold cool or get two molds if you are doing large quantities.

Hope this helps some..................Good Luck and let us know how it goes for you.

• Like 1

cadman tks a lot.

it is a lee whit a spoon  to take the lead from the top,ive got no trap .do it says that trap is not good for large head so ive follow their claim . what's the problem whit ultra minnow spinnerbaits  mine is a custom one made for spinnerbaits? what kind of things got soft lead at junkyard ??

21 hours ago, ddl said:

What kind of things got soft lead at junkyard ??

Sheet lead such as roof flashing or x-ray room lead from the walls.

Lead pipe is often pure.

You'd be surprised though at what you can cast using alloys other than pure.

You might want to invest in a hardness tester.

Then you'll know for sure right away.

I have the cabine tree hardness tester and I like it a lot. Especially for my bullet casting where precise brinell hardness is critical 

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Like 1