Hillbilly voodoo

Short strikes on Topwater

2 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

When you have had 6hrs sleep after working 2 12hr nightshifts and work 3 day shifts before that everything new is hard lol. One more tonight and then it’s time to recover :yay:

I feel your pain!! I am on call 24/7/365.....nothing like working with the fogmind! oh and the headaches right behind the eyes is not fun either!

I am retired now, but unfortunately I spent my money on wine, women and squandered the rest.

I once approached a large lure business with my ideas but did not even receive a reply, their loss not mine.

I have worked hours as a contractor that would make your toes curl, but was paid well. Unfortunately my investment in my local beer establishment did not pay off.

I have designs, but no money to develop. Investors welcome :)

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 'walk' of that lure shouldn't be so erratic that the fish will miss left/right of the lure. It's more like a jitterbug so, yes, it has some left/right movement but it's mainly in line. I agree with Dave though, a video of the action may make things more clear. You may need to make modifications to fit your specific lake/river scenarios. 

I personally would try the feathered treble hook to 1) give the fish a target and 2) reduce the motion of the lure by increasing the drag, which may be enough to get them to hook up.

I have the same issue with smaller pike on gliders where the lure will dart left and the fish will swipe right and completely miss. Luckily the pike are usually aggressive enough to swipe at it several times before giving up.

• Like 1

Delayed reaction is the key. I have found,  i got some strikes with a good hook up when I wasn't paying much attention. Like landing on an aircraft carrier! A controlled crash. I hated it, similar to topwater fishing, I'm stressed about any second now!! Then unlike landing on the carrier, I blow it, too quick .When I see a boil, I drop my rod tip and try to pick up some of the slack line. good luck.