Big Epp

Melting Down Old Plastics

8 hours ago, Big Epp said:

Can used soft plastic baits be melted down and remolded?  If so, how would one go about this?  I haven't done anything with plastics other than fish them, and I hate to waste material.

Thanks all!

Yes, they can be remelted and poured again.  I've found that adding some new, virgin plastisol with some heat stabilizer helps me to be able to reuse old plastics.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dv616 said:

I get that Z-man and Berkley don't work, it makes sense.  I wonder what is special about Zoom?  I thought they were pretty much normal plastic.

Shouldnt be anything out of the ordinary. My guess is salt which alot of Zoom baits have. It tends to attract moisture and of course turns to steam when heated thus causing massive bubbles. Thats my WAG.

Great info here Guys. Yes, I'm a newbie. I've only bass fished for 50 years but my wife got tired of seeing all my old baits being thrown into the dirt easement as a form of "dust control". I told I could try recycle them and here I am at 64 years old making bait. I got a couple of Do It Senko molds for Rob Zeiner and I waiting on some molds from BTS Molds. Thanks for letting me in and go easy on me for a while.