Shepherd

Too gimmicky?

Only serious constructive criticism please. I'm starting to get into making my own jigs. I don't know there's like 10 different style jig heads already, hard to produce something custom and original that can beat what's out on the market. So I came up with this skeleton jig concept... being a good buddy thinks it might be too gimmicky? Also my buddy who I trust wholeheartedly and has been in the business for 35 + years says that mold would be tough to do in common two piece mold.

0723200331.jpg

0723200332.jpg

I think your buddy is correct and see this all the time with lure makers.  Making something custom or unique is meaningless if if doesn't truly elevate the product and rarely is the case.  Guys get hung up on trying to differentiate their product and make "unique" fish catching designs but in the long run if we take a look at commercial sales as an indicator guess who isn't around after a few years.  Yes you need to differentiate you product but too many try tricks and gimmicks as that is easy in comparison to making a product that performs better.

Jigs are really more about performance.  A head designed to perform under certain conditions  (fishing wood, slipping through dense mats,  not wedging into rocks,  increased hook ups, skirt flare, etc....is the only thing that really matters in the long run based on who really ends up using jigs more often.  Jigs are in my opinion one of those lures that keeps lure makers honest.  Easy to make wacky soft plastics and cranks as every sap that fishes will toss out cranks, top waters, and some soft plastics and reel them back in and will catch some fish (even if they have no skill).  Over the years I have fished with a lot of different skilled level people and for many you would be hard pressed to find jigs in their arsenal.  The better the angler the more use of jigs due to many applications they end up being very dependent on the angler knowing how and where to fish them.  

• Thanks 1

I agree, when I was bouncing the idea back and forth with my buddy. We were evaluating it in the way performance and we both gave it a thumbs down. I love jigs, there's not a time I don't go out where the majority of the time I'll be throwing a half ounce football jig, especially this time of year where Alabama heat index I've been 115 to 117° what's the surface temperature hovering around 90 degrees. In my opinion there's no better jig in the areas I usually fish deep water in then the performance of the football jig. I appreciate your response

I appreciate the videos. I don't want to have my company be known for gimmick lures because that will discredit my other lures as they will see one in the same. In the idea of the skull jig, I was almost thinking it would have a good wobble on the bottom if Maid-Rite. But as a small custom designer my reputation is all I got

I think it is ok to do something like that as long as you market it as such. Perhaps a Halloween series or just a novelty lure as some people are into things like that. It also doesn't mean it it won't work but it is like Travis already said, the head design really offers nothing in the way of performance. I can't help but think of the Rebel crankbaits made to look like Camel Joe, beer cans, and even cartoon characters. Did they work? Yes, but we all know that there are days that fish will eat anything and a skull jighead would fall into that category.  The head shape isn't offering more snag resistance, rock crawling ability, or some other trait that would make it a must have. It would be a jig that simply looks cool and then you have to decide if it is worth putting the time and effort into making something like that. I do think that if you wanted to do it just do make a unique head it would be fine but it would be a novelty jig head to most other anglers.