Dink Mendez

Balsa Crankbait Bill MATERIAL?

Age old topic, but with a little different view point and questions.  I'm making flat sided Balsa crankbait, NOT for resale, or business. Just to fulfill a passion of making cranks. I'm making flat sided crankbaits for shallow to 10-12 ft range. What is the best BILL material to use Circuit board or Lexan---------WITH different PROSPECTIVE ---- I TRYING to achieve the best action ?

1)  Circuit board being thin,  DO it increase the action of the bait?

2)  LEXAN --- does create a small profile because its clear?  but does Lexan have the same action similar to circuit board?

3)  does anyone fill from experience that circuit board has some advantages, if so What Advantages?

4) seems like most of the Japan balsa makers like Circuit board, is that feeling the same Here with homemade Balsa makers?

5)  at last, what bill material makes the most possible to achieve cranks that HUNT,  on a consistent bases.

Like I said, this is a bucket list passion that makes my heart flutter, I make spinnerbait, plastic worms and jig etc... BUT making a plug is a completely different JOY!

1) Tricky...  It typically lets a bait get down to the desired depth a little quicker and the deflection off of things quicker/more lively.  As far as open water return I don't find much difference in action.

2) I don't think profile plays much importance on the cranks typically.  I think much of what is said is gimmicks to sell lures.  You will hear lexan can caused added flash and attract fish, colored lips attract, printed design onto bill increases strikes,  etc.... Overall action the same, see above.

3) See one but overall don't think there is a huge difference to be honest. 

4) It is overall viewed as higher end product so gets used as can charge more.  Overall I think the differences and advantages are really small in the grand scheme of things and most highly regarded cranks aren't circuit board.  More marketing than anything,

5)  Pick either.   HUNT on consistent basis... depends on your interpretation of hunting.    If I go to you tube and watch hunting cranks I will leave disappointed both by commercial bait claims and grass root.  Hunting  supposedly (as the legend goes) was used initially to refer to the action similar to a dog on scent.  Generally tracks straight but will veer off to the left for a while back to then left or right, center, etc... completely erratic.  Simple if looking top down and you see a repeatable pattern (sine wave) well.. you can decide. ;)

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

I like 1/32” thick G10 circuit board for shallow balsa cranks 3-6’.  Using it for deeper cranks like 10’ divers is maybe a little less attractive but still useful.  G10 is particularly good when grinding a crank through rocks and wood as it gives a sharper, livelier rebound and different noise than polycarbonate.  More of a “ping” than a “thunk”.  It also allows a crank to dive steeper/quicker because G10 is typically half as thick as a polycarbonate lip.  I’ve used G10 on super deep divers with huge bills and it didn’t seem to inhibit bass strikes. Of course, your experience may differ.  As far as hunting, IMO that is determined by different design characteristics than lip material.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 2