CincyFisher

Finesse Spinnerbait Hook

I'm building super compact spinnerbaits for my local, heavily pressured waters on the Ohio River.  I'm stuck on hooks.  I've built some on the Mustad 32606 short shank 3/0 and some on the Mustad 32608 long shank 2/0.  The picture shows both  hooks (32606 on the left). I'd like to try a short shank 2/0 but can't seem to find one.  Any ideas?

IMG_20200729_141934585.jpg

Just now, jigmeister said:

I'm assuming you're throwing these on lighter line  and so you wouldn't need to specifically use a "spinnerbait" hook which would open the door to a lot of other possibilities like short shank 2/0 fresh or  salt water fly fishing hooks for example .  

That's an interesting idea.  May need to look into that.  Thanks.

For years I have been using Owner offset worm hooks (regular shank 5301-141) in my spinnerbaits. The fine wire, hooks fish when they breathe on the baits. And the smaller gap coupled with the thin wire gauge results in almost zero torque. The baits run true even at the slowest speeds. I selected the offset hooks instead of the straight shank to help anchor the hooks inside the lead heads. 

Despite our best efforts, successful hook penetration is diminished significantly  given that the entire wire frame acts as a spring and dampens the force applied. And for the same reasons, fish are unlikely to open the gap or deform the hook. Subsequently I have elected to run finer gauge hooks on all of my spinnerbaits with great success. 

IMG_20200812_1525025.jpg

IMG_20200812_1525237.jpg

19 hours ago, Unagi said:

For years I have been using Owner offset worm hooks (regular shank 5301-141) in my spinnerbaits. The fine wire, hooks fish when they breathe on the baits. And the smaller gap coupled with the thin wire gauge results in almost zero torque. The baits run true even at the slowest speeds. I selected the offset hooks instead of the straight shank to help anchor the hooks inside the lead heads. 

Despite our best efforts, successful hook penetration is diminished significantly  given that the entire wire frame acts as a spring and dampens the force applied. And for the same reasons, fish are unlikely to open the gap or deform the hook. Subsequently I have elected to run finer gauge hooks on all of my spinnerbaits with great success. 

IMG_20200812_1525025.jpg

IMG_20200812_1525237.jpg

Interesting, I have used the straight shank Owner worm hooks before but never thought of using these? 

Allen

Back in the day (now I feel old....) when I was making a ton of baits, I was always in search of the "perfect" combination. Head design, wire gauge, wire form angles, arm lengths, and hook pattern.

Head design was limited to what I could find through Do-It and Hilts (dating myself again). As a broke graduate student, custom design was not part of the program.

I eventually settled on piano wire forms. They were thinner (.035 & .032) and vibrated more freely. I wasn't concerned that they tarnished over time given that I never sold anything.

Though I experimented with arm length, and the form geometry it seemed that I always returned to a compact design with standard angles. 

The last variable was the hook choice. I remember making a ton of spinnerbaits and cleverly thought that lost fish would be a thing of the past because I found 6/0 spinnerbait hooks!! Never thought to make just a few to try first...... I think I poured at least 200, custom painted all of them with 4 layers of powder, epoxied the entire head to encapsulate the perfectly positioned 3-D eyes, then hand tied the most gorgeous skirts. Well the first cast immediately revealed they they didn't run true, surprise surprise. And bending them  to resemble the x-wing fighters from Star Wars still didn't correct the "torque roll" from the grossly overweight 6/0 hook. Note to self....... use smaller hooks!!

As described in my first post, I found that regular gauge Owner offset worm hooks worked perfectly. The compact gap coupled with a fine wire eliminated torque roll. And despite the smaller gap, the fine wire penetrated with little effort which yielded incredible hooking success.  A pet peeve has always been hook or wire movement in the head after a catching a few fish. Changing the lead alloy certainly improved the spinnerbait durability but the embedding offset hook design resulted in a rock solid lure.   

Hope this helps,

-Paul Shibata

I've found that the Lurepartsonline spinnerbaits with a 5/0 hook are great, and don't roll, even with a Colorado/Indiana blade combination.

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/King-Spin-Heads

Barlow's also has a good spinnerbait with a 5/0 hook.

https://barlowstackle.com/Fish-Shaped-Spinner-Bait-Head--P1506/

I fish 50# braid with a 20# fluoro leader, so setting the hook with a 5/0 isn't a problem.

Edited by mark poulson