ddl

who is airbrushing urethane top coat ?

If you're asking for an alternative clear coat for plastic crankbaits, I use Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear Acrylic most of the time.  It's cheap, dries/cures overnight when I help it along with a hair dryer, and doesn't distort colors.  I just have to make sure to not let the cranks lie in contact with soft plastics for more than a few minutes, or the finish will melt.

• Like 1

i don't know what kind of ab you own but most of them can handle solvent base paint and top coat.at least i know that iwata can handle it .kbs look good but the life but look bad for a guy that is not doing many lures like me .ty

One point to remember is how they act to plastics, you could end up with a mess. I used a concrete sealer and it was cheap and easy to use then I went fishing and the lures were stuck to my carpet along with with the plastics. When dipping KBS you get a lot of lures out of a quart and no problems. I haven't used automotive urethane clear but the smell I would think is the same as KBS. Although available with no need for shipping as with KBS. I will check it out.

Wayne 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, mark poulson said:

If you're asking for an alternative clear coat for plastic crankbaits, I use Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear Acrylic most of the time.  It's cheap, dries/cures overnight when I help it along with a hair dryer, and doesn't distort colors.  I just have to make sure to not let the cranks lie in contact with soft plastics for more than a few minutes, or the finish will melt.

Hi Mark,

How does the spray on clear hold up?

Cheers Dave

8 hours ago, daveyg1 said:

Hi Mark,

How does the spray on clear hold up?

Cheers Dave

Dave,

It holds up fine on hard baits, as long as you don't leave it in contact with a soft plastic bait for more than 5 minutes.  The softener in the plastic will melt the Rustoleum.  When I make a bait like a rat that needs a soft plastic tail, I'll coat the area around the hitchhiker attachment with clear nail polish, and it's fine.  I make sure the tail doesn't lie next to the bait on the deck,and I remove the tail when I put the bait away.

But I have baits that I coated with it that are several years old, and are still fine.

I caught a dozen crankbait fish today on a bluegill crank I painted and coated with the Rustoleum.  They also make a matte that I use as a final coat when I want less gloss.  Two coats of the gloss, five minutes apart, for strength, and then one coat of the matte, to knock down the gloss.

For me, it's a cheap, easy topcoat that only needs a day to cure before I fish it.

Plus, since I can make it work, it must be idiot proof!  Hahaha

P.S.  Spray it outside and stand up wind.  It has some fumes.