Bassmaster Rick

What did I do wrong

OK,  I mixed 8oz of MF medium sinking plastic and I heated it up in 1 minute increments until it was clear, stirring it up in between. I added some MF light watermelon color drops until I got the color I wanted. I heated it back up 2 times at 30 second intervals stirring each time. I then added some glitter, earthworm oil, and salt and heated up for 30 more seconds until I got to 340-350 degrees. Injected the mold.  First batch came out beautiful. After reheating and not changing anything the second batch came out very nicely but was a root beer color and it is a good color.  I reheated for a third pour and my material turned to jello. I did not add any heat stabilizer. I'm assuming I did a rookie mistake of sorts but I'm asking all you knowledgeable people for a little help.

My guess is the third reheat had cooled greatly.  If you  added the runners and injector plugs back in you needed to heat it more to get it back up to temp.  I am guessing at this because it did not say your third injection became jello, just the material.

Edited by Redfisher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redfisher said:

My guess is the third reheat had cooled greatly.  If you  added the runners and injector plugs back in you needed to heat it more to get it back up to temp.  I am guessing at this because it did not say your third injection became jello, just the material.

I wasn't able to make a third injection before it jello'd on me.

It finally got under a 100 degrees outside so here's and update. Heated the well shaken 8 ounces of 'virgin' plastisol for 2 minutes and stirred. Heated for another 2 minutes and stirred. It started to turn light brown instead of clear so I decided to make some rootbeer colored baits. Added my color and stirred. Heated for 30 seconds and added glitter and some salt, stirred, it was just under 300 degrees. Heated for 20 seconds to get it up to 330 degrees and injected. They are some interesting root beer colored senkos. I'm on my 3rd injection with no jello. I wondering if I got a bad jug or if I didn't shake the new jug up enough at first? Thanks for all your help Guys.

Heating that plastic to long in those 2 minute burst, have a little more patience with it.  Go 2 then 1 then 30 seconds to get to 360 350.  Then do your thing.  With remelts depending on how cool it is go 1:30 or 1 then judge from there.  It will stay clear and desired color.  Try setting it on cardbard in the microwave and when you take it out.

• Like 1

If I heat 8 oz of plastic for 2 minutes it will be ready to shoot. If colors are changing then they are overheated. Or heated for to long but I mean hours not minutes. Check your process and get a second temperature reading device. Make sure they both read about the same. Also one thing about heating that small of an amount of plastic makes slight heating mistakes a big deal. Make a larger amount and the heat will be less of an issue. 

Edited by Frank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank said:

If I heat 8 oz of plastic for 2 minutes it will be ready to shoot. If colors are changing then they are overheated. Or heated for to long but I mean hours not minutes. Check your process and get a second temperature reading device. Make sure they both read about the same. Also one thing about heating that small of an amount of plastic makes slight heating mistakes a big deal. Make a larger amount and the heat will be less of an issue. 

Thanks. What part of California are you from?

Bassmaster Rick, when heating those small amounts the plastic is much hotter in the center than the sides. Heat in shorter burst and slowly stir to even out heat with a butter knife or rod.  The same is true when remelting the runners etc.  I only remelt white after a 1 minute burst with 20 second heats and stirs.  If you get bubbles they will disappear when you break surface tension by adding colorant glitter etc.  Remelts use a heat source and pop them out.  The cardboard idea is great because it helps distribute the heat better in thos small 8 oz of plastic.  I even use it with my 16 and 32 oz pyrex cups.  If in a presto I let it run at 315 or 320 and let the mixer run. The runners and plugs melt into it pretty well.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, Bassmaster Rick said:

OK,  I mixed 8oz of MF medium sinking plastic and I heated it up in 1 minute increments until it was clear, stirring it up in between. I added some MF light watermelon color drops until I got the color I wanted. I heated it back up 2 times at 30 second intervals stirring each time. I then added some glitter, earthworm oil, and salt and heated up for 30 more seconds until I got to 340-350 degrees. Injected the mold.  First batch came out beautiful. After reheating and not changing anything the second batch came out very nicely but was a root beer color and it is a good color.  I reheated for a third pour and my material turned to jello. I did not add any heat stabilizer. I'm assuming I did a rookie mistake of sorts but I'm asking all you knowledgeable people for a little help.

Heat stabilizer will help you to be able to reheat without scorching, and a digital thermometer will help you insure that you don't overheat your plastic.  Take it's temp after you've stirred it, because the middle will always be hotter when you heat in a microwave.

• Like 1