Slammingjack

Mod a do-it swm-3-a swim jig mold

I modified that mold to take a Mustad 91768 hook and it works. The issue though is the hook you want to use with it. There isn't a lot of room at the top by the hook eye for a large diameter hook. I used the 91768 in a 3/0 for the 3/8oz size, a 2/0 for the 1/4oz and a 1/0 for the 1/8oz and there is very little clearance but it does work. The success you will have will depend on the hook and the cavity you are using.

I've done the same thing Smalljaw has done with a 91768 Mustad hook. My sizes are as follows

1/8 oz = 1/0

1/4 oz = 2/0

3/8 oz = 3/0 and 4/0

There are times depending on what batch of hooks that I get, that I have to tweek the hook shank, because it pushes up against the cavity at the top by the hook eye and won't let the lead fill. By bending the hook shank slightly this will solve that problem. This is not one of my best pouring molds, but if you watch how the hooks sit in the cavity when you pour, have enough room around the hook to let the lead fill, and have really hot lead it will fill fine.

If you plan on using a 32886 hook in this mold for the strength of the hook, this hook even in the 3/0 size will not fit in any of my modified cavities. What is happening, is the bigger the hook, the closer the bend from the hook eye to the hook shank is up against the area where the sprue is. This will cause the bottom of the hook to not fill with lead, because the hook is in the sprue space. Also the hook eye is too thick to fit in the existing mold eye. There are a lot of things going on here that prohibit using  thicker hooks. This mold was really made for Aberdeen style hooks.

I think if you can find a hook with a 15º bend on the shank instead of a 30º or 28º in a heavier hook that might be a start. Also you can look into possibly using a rounder shank hook like (picture below). These hooks are found in Lure Parts On Line catalog on page 36. They are flat eye, but they might work better. Then lay the hook on the mold orient it where you think it would pour the best and carve away. If you find a solution to this with a heavier hook and it pours well for you, please reply back with pics of the carved mold and finished raw jig. I am sure many would like to see what you have resolved, if you don't mind sharing. Good luck.

Mq01ZsXm.jpg

Edited by cadman