flipper2

X motion speed

5 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

X-motion is wholly controlled by the width of the lip. Simply make the lip narrower, the length can stay the same.

Dave

Absolutely! You'll need to experiment though as a lip that is too narrow may cause the lure to stop wiggling all-together. 

• Like 1

I am tempted to write a technical post on Strouhal number, a simple formula that can predict the cycles per second of the lure. But, I have settled just to sum the subject up in a few simple facts.

1 - If you double the retrieval speed then the cycles per second doubles.

2 - If you double the lip width then the the cycles per second halves.

3 - Most importantly, there is a minimum speed for the function of a lure's action.

If you intend to retrieve as slow as possible, you will need to give a brief tug to start the X-ing and then slow down to your desired speed. The minimum speed is best predetermined at the water's edge before fishing commences.

There is no minimum width of the lip, the speed becomes so fast and the width of the lure movement becomes so narrow that the wiggle cannot be seen.

Note - a complete cycle comprises a left AND right movement. Good luck in counting them :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

Vodkaman

Will the temperature of the water make any kind of difference in the movement of the lure.

Yes it would, but very slight and not noticeable.

The science is all tied together with Reynold's number, which includes many variables like temperature, density, viscosity and more.

Vortex shedding (the lure's X-ing motor) is a very mechanical thing. But as you know, an increase in temperature makes the water slightly thinner, so a neutral lure will slow sink. The vortices will form faster and so the X-ing will speed up.

Good question :)

Dave

• Like 1

Good info dave...your brain works in unearthly ways. But, allow me to catch you if I may. Just for fun

• It involves determining the identities of three gods named A, B, and C by asking them three questions...

Here is the riddle:

“Three gods, A, B, and C, are called, in some order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is completely random. You must determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-or-no questions, and each question must be posed to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language. In their unknown language, the words for “yes” and “no” are “da” and “ja,” in some order. You do not know which word means which.”

So, which questions would you ask to identify each god?

Shepherd

1 - This is very old and famous puzzle, I have come across it before.

2 - The answer is easy but the explanation of the logic is complex.

3 - The puzzle can be found with Google.

If I answered, then you would have to figure out if I was telling the truth!

Dave

• Like 1