Jazzatomo

Colormatching - Copper berry - Is this ox blood?

G'day All, 

Looking to try and color match one of my favourite plastics.

Strike Tiger 4 inch curl tail worm COPPER BERRY

The closest I can find so far I think is Ox Blood, but without already having it in my hands I cant be 100% sure, and the main companies I order from dont have just a straight clear copper. 

TIA for your help.

Regards,

Jake

3 minutes ago, Socal399 said:

I feel it looks more like motor oil 

I can understand why you would say that. It can appear a similar motor oil color in the right light.

Its more reddish than the motor oil I have. Ive tried mixing motor oil and strawberry, but it doesn't come close. Here is another picture. 

No photo description available.

Edited by Jazzatomo

So to add a bit more information, the first picture isn't a laminate, the colour of the bait changes colour under different light. 

It sounds like it may be a brown motor oil going off what everyone is saying. At the very least I can give it a go for it. 

5 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Just NOT Ox Blood.

I think that has been made very clear XD

Funny how thing are different now. Here is the Oxblood I have from Lurecraft and root beer from Spikeit. In my mind the Rootbeer was more red. Top one is rootbeer 8 drops per 4oz. Left top is 6 drops per 4oz. Bottom is 8 drops Oxblood from lurecraft. Bottom bottom is Spikeit Oxblood  cut it out cause it was way off  

13DB7131-1EF3-426E-BAE5-667FF190C1A5.jpeg

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

I really don't know enough about colors to help with that, but I do know that the large red flake will give a clearer/lighter colored bait a reddish cast.  That's why I always add my flake right after the plastic kicks over, and then add my color, drop by drop, to see how the two work together.  I have found that, for me, heating the flake while the plastic is being heated to 350 initially can cause it to bleed, and change color.  If I were trying to match that bait, I'd cook a cup of plastic, add the red flake, and then pour some into two different heating cups, so I could play with the two different colors suggested here to see which one is closer.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Redfisher said:

mf motor oil is what it is in the first bag.  the craws could be the same just a different amount of drops.  If they turn green as well its mf motor oil.  It is a green\red changeable and a bleeder.

The confirms it for me. Guess im doing another MF order soon :P

10 hours ago, MEL said:

OX BLOODP8040765A.thumb.jpg.b655f36df91d96b898c4d83febfe5b4c.jpg

Bugger. Guess I am ordering some oxblood too. That looks awesome!

I am sure shipping to Australia is not cheap so be warned the Oxblood in Mel’s picture is not the same as my picture. Mine is the current version they sell. Mels I believe is from more than 12 years ago. I had some of that one back in the day. My bottle has the same number 267 on it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank said:

Funny how thing are different now. Here is the Oxblood I have from Lurecraft and root beer from Spikeit. In my mind the Rootbeer was more red. Top one is rootbeer 8 drops per 4oz. Left top is 6 drops per 4oz. Bottom is 8 drops Oxblood from lurecraft. Bottom bottom is Spikeit Oxblood  cut it out cause it was way off  

13DB7131-1EF3-426E-BAE5-667FF190C1A5.jpeg

yes I agree, the colors have changed over the years.. Even from the same suppliers. 

7 hours ago, Frank said:

I am sure shipping to Australia is not cheap so be warned the Oxblood in Mel’s picture is not the same as my picture. Mine is the current version they sell. Mels I believe is from more than 12 years ago. I had some of that one back in the day. My bottle has the same number 267 on it. 

shipping to Australia hurts... my last order from MF had 100 USD shipping on it, the order I am looking at placing for 5 gallons of dead on plastisol has $485 USD + for shipping :'( I try and load up in hits to try and spread the value out for when I price my baits out. but in the end its still adds 25% + to the price of every color, scent or glitter I order. 

• Sad 1

You are right my ox blood is older than 10 years maybe 20.  I had recently finished the new mold and decided to try

this color fo the first time.  Maybe the kelp bass will have the final say --- if the virus lets us fish again.