Judgie

PLASTASOL PROBLEM

I think I got a bad batch, this is the third gallon I have used and had no problems in the past.

This time I stirred as usual heated as usual , but the plastic will not harden won't even jell. After pouring.

Heated to 375 f and nothing.

Anyone ever had this problem.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:41 AM, Judgie said:

I mixed it 3 times and the last time for 3-4 minutes.

The company I purchased it from is replacing it no questions asked, can't beat that anyway.

I think he may mean did you mix it in the bottle before you poured it into your cup. Ive had the issue with bottles that have sat for ages without being rotated. Usually once I take the first cup out, they get back to what they should be for some unknown reason. Have had it happen now with 3 1 liter bottles in a row. 

Usually i just keep shaking the origional bottle and adding more bit by bit into the dodgy cup until it wants to behave properly

11 hours ago, Jazzatomo said:

I think he may mean did you mix it in the bottle before you poured it into your cup. Ive had the issue with bottles that have sat for ages without being rotated. Usually once I take the first cup out, they get back to what they should be for some unknown reason. Have had it happen now with 3 1 liter bottles in a row. 

Usually i just keep shaking the origional bottle and adding more bit by bit into the dodgy cup until it wants to behave properly

Yes and sorry I didn't catch that.  Mixing of the container needs to be done for most brands before pouring. 

Since the unmixed stuff seems to be super soft, I'm guessing it's the hardener that settles out of suspension.  I am careful to swirl my gallon of med. every time I think of it, even if I'm not pouring.  Once it packs at the bottom, it takes serious mixing, like with a drill and mixing tool, to get it back up into suspension.

• Like 1

I have a paint stirrer that goes on my drill. I cut the plastic on the bottom back small enough so it goes in the top of the bottle (took a couple different stirs to find one that would still work after I cut it back!) and it does a pretty good job.

This might work!

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/painting-tools-and-supplies/paint-mixers/1499516

On 8/9/2020 at 10:00 AM, DaBehr said:

I have a paint stirrer that goes on my drill. I cut the plastic on the bottom back small enough so it goes in the top of the bottle (took a couple different stirs to find one that would still work after I cut it back!) and it does a pretty good job.

This might work!

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/painting-tools-and-supplies/paint-mixers/1499516

Good idea. I believe i'll pick one up & make it fit too. :yay: