Jfreshbass

1.5 inch tube injection mold (dual color or laminate)

Hi,

I am new to the forum and pouring, and have been looking around at posts for a while. I was wondering if anybody knew where to get a laminate or dual color 1.5 inch injection crappie tube mold? I saw Jacob’s baits makes one, but no longer makes a laminate or two color mold. I was also wondering, those who have the Jacobs 1.5 inch tube mold, have you tried using a dual injector like basstackle, and does it work with that small of a mold?  If anybody has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

On 8/4/2020 at 8:56 AM, Jfreshbass said:

Hi,

I am new to the forum and pouring, and have been looking around at posts for a while. I was wondering if anybody knew where to get a laminate or dual color 1.5 inch injection crappie tube mold? I saw Jacob’s baits makes one, but no longer makes a laminate or two color mold. I was also wondering, those who have the Jacobs 1.5 inch tube mold, have you tried using a dual injector like basstackle, and does it work with that small of a mold?  If anybody has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

I do not have that mold but sometimes I place tinfoil between the two aluminum blocks and shoot the bait and Ill get two separate pieces that i can use to make laminates. its pretty easy and works well. 

21 minutes ago, Fern said:

I do not have that mold but sometimes I place tinfoil between the two aluminum blocks and shoot the bait and Ill get two separate pieces that i can use to make laminates. its pretty easy and works well. 

Really? Do you happen to have a photo of that process? I’ve been trying to figure out how to get a more consistent crappie tube. I’ve been dipping tubes recently but have been having trouble with consistency on the tubes. I figured injection molds would be the beat way to get a consistent tube. 

22 minutes ago, Jfreshbass said:

Really? Do you happen to have a photo of that process? I’ve been trying to figure out how to get a more consistent crappie tube. I’ve been dipping tubes recently but have been having trouble with consistency on the tubes. I figured injection molds would be the beat way to get a consistent tube. 

I would literally just take the mold and lay the rods in place and then place tin foil over the section of the tubes and close the mold and shoot it. when you open it, youll have two sides of the same color and you can remove one color and shoot again without the tinfoil. Just make sure you heat the mold so you dont get any cold cracking. I am at work right now but will try to take some photos for you when i get home. 

Just now, Fern said:

I would literally just take the mold and lay the rods in place and then place tin foil over the section of the tubes and close the mold and shoot it. when you open it, youll have two sides of the same color and you can remove one color and shoot again without the tinfoil. Just make sure you heat the mold so you dont get any cold cracking. I am at work right now but will try to take some photos for you when i get home. 

Awesome thank you! Sounds like a really cool idea. I was thinking about just shooting one color, cutting it in half, and shooting the other color. Hoping it would laminate pretty well. That or invest in a dual injector. 

1 minute ago, Jfreshbass said:

Awesome thank you! Sounds like a really cool idea. I was thinking about just shooting one color, cutting it in half, and shooting the other color. Hoping it would laminate pretty well. That or invest in a dual injector. 

I tried that before but unless you can get super perfect cuts, it'll look really bad.