ravenlures

Stainless Steel vrs. Brass for small wood lures

Only time I have had issues was when a large fish that was not the intended species grabbed the lure. Most cases it was in the net when the fish rolled. I had them both bend open and break off

But these were lures that had experienced multiple cases of excessive wear and tear before failing. I have also landed big pike and lake trout without issue on small brass eye screws

For fish around 10lbs or less I would not hesitate to use brass eye screws

It depends on the hardness of the brass versus the steel and either metal can be tempered to similar or very different hardness.  However hard temper stainless is tougher than hard temper brass and it won’t corrode.  Jmho, we put so much time and effort into a hand built crankbait that the cost of raw materials like wood, wire and screw eyes is negligible.  So I say buy the good stuff.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:29 AM, ravenlures said:

Just about to buy some 1" .072  screw eyes and brass is half the price. Any problems with brass opening up, or no difference. Getting back into making some wood lures made of white cedar.

Wayne

hi be safe with s/steel/ brass screws on joints and belly hangars can be iffy on bigfish,,,been there done that.