Andam22

Dead On Plastix Durability Issues

I have been pouring for a few months now, and I have to say I'm getting pretty frustrated. I have been using Dead On Feather Craw plastic. There is a lot I like about Dead On, but even their most durable blend is ripping too easily for me. I have had craws lose their claws and worms lose their tails when I store them in the bags. Hook shanks will pull through the plastic from pulling them through the grass. Yes I have made sure that my plastic is thoroughly mixed before pouring and I tried shooting it at different temp ranges. I have even bought some baits from bait makers that use dead on and experienced similar issues. Has anyone else has problems with durability? Does anyone have other plastic recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Lureworks or baitplastics is what i like since Leonard at baitjunkys doesn't sale calhouns anymore. I'm using medium in the baitplastics  right now& it's pretty good stuff. They also have a medium hard if you want a little firmer finished product. I really like lureworks being in the bag in the box & it's very good plastisol too. 

"Has anyone else has problems with durability?" Yes!

I made a lot of baits during my pandemic time off for a tournament at Clear Lake last month.

Pre-Rigged some worms I made with a Nail Weight, when I tried to use them they where all ripped  at 

the nose with the Nail Weight hanging out.

Also Texas Rigged Drop Shot Worms where just falling off the hook, when the rod was  just sitting in the boat.

Check out this post. 

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/37000-help-why-are-my-tubes-tearing-open-like-this-so-frustrating/

Is it our process or the plastic?

23 hours ago, Andam22 said:

I have been pouring for a few months now, and I have to say I'm getting pretty frustrated. I have been using Dead On Feather Craw plastic. There is a lot I like about Dead On, but even their most durable blend is ripping too easily for me. I have had craws lose their claws and worms lose their tails when I store them in the bags. Hook shanks will pull through the plastic from pulling them through the grass. Yes I have made sure that my plastic is thoroughly mixed before pouring and I tried shooting it at different temp ranges. I have even bought some baits from bait makers that use dead on and experienced similar issues. Has anyone else has problems with durability? Does anyone have other plastic recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with the stuff. Look up my past post about my tubes ripping. I switched to bait plastics and have not had any issues yet. 

Thanks Dink Master and Fern. I read through your thread about your tube issues. Very helpful! I ordered some BaitPlastics this AM. I was getting so discouraged from the lack of quality of the baits I was making. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who experienced issues.  I also want to try the EZ Stretch from MF at some point but their orders are 5-6 weeks out.

I just received some samples from Chemionics(Dead On) this week of their floating soft & medium formulas & it was complete garbage. Had the same issues you're having. The soft was tearing as we were pulling samples from the molds. It's definitely not a mixing issue, it's a straight quality issue. 

Wow, thank you guys so much.  I have been using MF's 464 mix for almost a decade, but watching the youtube vids of Marling and Worlds worst I was encouraged by the clarity of the plastic, even when they seemed to overheat it.  I was about to drop a hundo on two gallons (one floating and one sinking to mix together) of dead on.  Most of my custom is saltwater, durability issues are not tolerated.

3 hours ago, FishBones805 said:

Wow, thank you guys so much.  I have been using MF's 464 mix for almost a decade, but watching the youtube vids of Marling and Worlds worst I was encouraged by the clarity of the plastic, even when they seemed to overheat it.  I was about to drop a hundo on two gallons (one floating and one sinking to mix together) of dead on.  Most of my custom is saltwater, durability issues are not tolerated.

Clear baits - Yes, stays clear after many re-heats but durability sucks.

Don't know if I got a bad batch, or it was something I did wrong.

Still trying to work it out. Fishing Ca Delta FLW this week. I will keep testing when I get home.

• Like 1

A little update... I received my baitplastics 262 this morning and have been busy pouring. Already super impressed. Baits seem supple enough to maintain action, but stretchy and solid enough to maintain durability. Of course that means nothing if they don't hold up while on the water. I'll be headed out the middle of this week to do some testing. I will say, I notice more bubbles in this than I did with Dead On. The smell is also a bit stronger when cooking. I will at some point do a clarity comparison. However, none of those factors mean anything to me if my baits are unusable after 0-1 fish like they currently are with Dead On. I got sucked into the hype of the Dead On from various YouTube channels and I really wanted to like it, but if early signs are any indication, I will be sticking to baitplastics from now on. Updates to come.

It's official, I'm fully converted to Bait Plastics. I have been using  242 and 262. Both are awesome as far as durability and action goes. They held up well and caught fish on my recent trip. With free and fast shipping times, its hard to beat them IMO.

• Like 3

I've been pouring with the dead on black bucket plastisol for almost a year now, and have had zero problems with durability. I had been wondering about trying the floating stuff, but if this thread is anything to go by I will not be doing so. I wonder if you guys would have different results if you tried the black bucket as opposed to the floating?

Sincerely, Garrett Lee

I can only speak to the black bucket worm blend. I used it for 5" stick baits, no additives, and dead on color while letting set for 24-48 hours. I ended up with the same poor results. I even tried heating the plastic up slowly in a presto pot hoping that would make a difference. Baits would still rip after a few casts or after getting hung up in weeds. I'm glad you're having better results. Dead on does have a sampler pack which you can buy a few things of feather.

I really hope this isn’t the case. I was going to buy the bait plastics but ended up buying 3 different gallons of Dead on. I’ve never made my own baits, I’m just getting started. Now you all are freaking me out because I just got it all in the mail today. I’m going to follow this, I don’t have any molds or anything yet. 

22 minutes ago, Gardnaaa said:

I really hope this isn’t the case. I was going to buy the bait plastics but ended up buying 3 different gallons of Dead on. I’ve never made my own baits, I’m just getting started. Now you all are freaking me out because I just got it all in the mail today. I’m going to follow this, I don’t have any molds or anything yet. 

i havent used DO, but make sure you mix it well (when you think its mixed enough, mix more) and make absolute sure it gets over 350 on initial heat, probably 360 to be sure. it *should* come out fine, most of the issues i have read about through facebook groupls involves those 2 steps not being followed.

that being said bait plastics new 242 is the best i have used (doit essential (JUNK!!!) , baitjunkys medium (good stuff!), bait plastics old BJ blend 200 (was ok) , bait plastics 212 (good stuff!) and now 242.

4 minutes ago, Canga~ said:

i havent used DO, but make sure you mix it well (when you think its mixed enough, mix more) and make absolute sure it gets over 350 on initial heat, probably 360 to be sure. it *should* come out fine, most of the issues i have read about through facebook groupls involves those 2 steps not being followed.

that being said bait plastics new 242 is the best i have used (doit essential (JUNK!!!) , baitjunkys medium (good stuff!), bait plastics old BJ blend 200 (was ok) , bait plastics 212 (good stuff!) and now 242.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I took a screenshot on my phone to hold onto this. I wish I would have tried bait plastics. I like the free shipping over $39. the shipping on the order I got today was $30. I was reading this thread having a heart attack after I already unpacked my order lol. 

18 minutes ago, Gardnaaa said:

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I took a screenshot on my phone to hold onto this. I wish I would have tried bait plastics. I like the free shipping over $39. the shipping on the order I got today was $30. I was reading this thread having a heart attack after I already unpacked my order lol. 

a lot of people love dead on so im sure it will be ok if done properly, i tried bait plastics before DO when baitjunkys stopped being available, and didnt see a reason to try anything else. at that time the prices were similar with shipping and everything, bait plastics free shipping is a pretty new thing. the groups on facebook are pretty evenly split between DO and BP, with a few using lurecraft, lureworks and MF

search facebook for the soft bait making groups, if you havent already (there is a few of them), tons of good information in there and most people are willing to help and pretty active in the groups.

Edited by Canga~

6 minutes ago, Canga~ said:

a lot of people love dead on so im sure it will be ok if done properly, i tried bait plastics before DO when baitjunkys stopped being available, and didnt see a reason to try anything else. at that time the prices were similar with shipping and everything, bait plastics free shipping is a pretty new thing. the groups on facebook are pretty evenly split between DO and BP, with a few using lurecraft, lureworks and MF

search facebook for the soft bait making groups, if you havent already (there is a few of them), tons of good information in there and most people are willing to help and pretty active in the groups.

Awesome thanks again! 

Chemionics has always been known for making an inconsistent product. I wouldn't expect anything different with Dead On since it's just repackaged Chemionics. I just know that the floating formula samples I received were complete garbage. I had hopes that they've changed over the years with their quality but it's not the case.

I have been making worms for a long time(over 25 years) and have  used most brands out there.

I like Dead on Plastix  - it stays clear and does no yellow like some of the others.

But something is wrong, a nail weight should not pop out of the side of a worm after one day.

I mixed it well and heated over 350, even if I din't I don't think it should be this temperamental?

Photo 1 - Worm & Nail Weight (White Floating  Swimbait/Jerk Bait)

Photo 2 - Nail Weight Inserted into worm

Photo 3 - 1 Day later  Nail ripped through the side of the worm (worm just sitting in garage)

Worm01.jpg

Worm02.jpg

Worm03.jpg

10 hours ago, Dink Master said:

I have been making worms for a long time(over 25 years) and have  used most brands out there.

I like Dead on Plastix  - it stays clear and does no yellow like some of the others.

But something is wrong, a nail weight should not pop out of the side of a worm after one day.

I mixed it well and heated over 350, even if I din't I don't think it should be this temperamental?

Photo 1 - Worm & Nail Weight (White Floating  Swimbait/Jerk Bait)

Photo 2 - Nail Weight Inserted into worm

Photo 3 - 1 Day later  Nail ripped through the side of the worm (worm just sitting in garage)

Worm01.jpg

Worm02.jpg

Worm03.jpg

I shot them an email and they are sending me a qt of hardener to see if it helps. I have the same plastic same problem.