shastaron

Modifying a Do-it Mold

Going to modify some molds. I have read about how to put the hook in the mold and hit it with a hammer or squeeze it in a vise. Are there any other tricks to get accurate marking before I take the Dremel tool to the mold. ie., smoke the mold or light spray paint or anything to make it easier to see the indentation for the hook. Thanks in advance.

Several “techniques” out there. The biggest problem I have ran into using the dremel is controlling that little rascal at 6000 rpm or whatever it runs. My experience was it walked way too much and never could control it. Consequently, material was removed that should not have been, uuggly results, lack of precision. My success was with a drill press, ball and end mills with a drill press vise. Way more controllability. 

• Thanks 1

I use a small file.  A really fine jig saw blade work well also.

Slower, but no "ahhhh shit" when the Dremel goes crazy!

I also put a hook in a slowly close the vise. Putting a little bit of black enamel paint on the hook also makes a good mark to follow. Some permanent markers work ok, but you need to close it fast but hand pressure will make a mark to follow. Do one cavity at a time.

Remember: You can also take more material out...but you can't put it back in!!!

Edited by DaBehr

7 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Forgive what might be a dumb question, but can't you use something like high temp silicone to repair an over-ground mold to make it usable again.  Or that welding epoxy?

Yes but it ain’t purty.

C2A2C29E-A076-438F-88A1-5D9389A198E8.jpeg

Edited by Jig Man