uptown

sealer base coat question

I am looking for a new way to seal and preferably base coat my lures. What are you guys using? I currently use Etex for a sealer and then use a primer. Works great, but I would like to streamline the process(do both in one). Someone suggested tinted Bullseye primer/sealer . Does anyone have any experience using this?

Thanks

Uptown,

You are currently using a good system that works well for you. I wouldn't change a thing. All Zinsser products use a "breathable film" concept which allows moisture to escape. This works well to eliminate peeling, blistering and cracking of the topcoats used around the house, but I want my lures to be totally sealed; for a sealer to "breathe", for me defeats the purpose. And when all is said and done, IMHO your time savings over your current system would be negligible, and your lures wouldn't be as well sealed as they currently are.

Dean

I am looking for a new way to seal and preferably base coat my lures. What are you guys using? I currently use Etex for a sealer and then use a primer. Works great' date=' but I would like to streamline the process(do both in one). Someone suggested tinted Bullseye primer/sealer . Does anyone have any experience using this?

Thanks[/quote']

I recently changed to using Etex as a sealer followed by white Painter's Touch primer. I was using the Bullseye primer/sealer and did not like the results. I was having adhesion problems. I think the method you are currently using is "easier" just not quicker.

BASSMASTER

I learned a bunch from your posts on SOL. Thanks for sharing. I am not sold on that linseed oil approach though. Isn't it a little dangerous?

Uptown-

Sealer is used to keep the water out.

Primer is used to keep the paint on.

Your bait and you do it how you feel best. Personally, you have a lot of time invested in making the bait and to risk the quality of the bait would have to be your decission. As Skeeter once told me, "you can make alot of money or you can make a good crankbait, but not both". Take it for what it is worth, but there are no shortcuts to quality.

Tally

Thanks for the replies guys. I am happy with my current system, but had read on this board in the past that some of you were using the Bullseye Primer/sealer. A friend of mine also uses that system and likes it. I did not think that it would be that great, but thought that I should find out. Just in case I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up.

Happy Thanksgiving

uptown I know I'm a little slow with this response but I use a very similar process as you except that I mix powder paint with the Enviro to creat my base color at the same time as sealing. This way I do not have to spray a primer just wet sand and wipe with acetone before applying color.

Tim

tebolures.com

Uptown,

I use Bullseye Shellac and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I dip the baits in the can totally submersing them and then hang them to dry for a day. I have sprayed both water based paints and rattle cans on this finish with no problems. However, this product certainly ins't a complete seal, it simply provides another boundary to prevent absorption into the wood. I put a white primer over the Shellac before painting and then finish with etex.

As far as etex is concerned as a sealer I don't really see the advantage of using it as an undercoat/sealer other than it would provide a nice smooth finish to paint on.

Bassmaster,

How long does the bait stay in the linseed oil? Could a guy use rattle can white as a primer over it?

Thank you!

jed