SlowFISH

Anyone try colorant in/on mold before shooting?

Hey guys - 

Just curious if anyone has ever tried putting the plastisol colorant onto the surface of the mold cavity - then shot it?  My thinking is - I could take a q-tip with some colorant on it and running it down the middle of the mold cavity with the "hope" of getting a stripe (the color of the colorant form the q tip) on the bait which I could shoot of a different/lighter color.   I can't see why it wouldn't work.... but could also easily see it becoming a mess with the colorant I "painted" in the mold with the q-tip settling on the outer surface of the bait and then get all over everything - compared to when the color is mixed into the plastisol normally.

Curious if anyone has tried something like this and if worked/failed?  Though it could be interesting for stripes/dots/etc. - provided it works and doesn't make a mess!  

Thanks.

J.

It does get messy that way. In a recent you tibe video Nate Marlimg (marlingbaits) showed a technique where you mix / cook your plastic the color you want the accents to be, then using a hot soldering iron dip it in to the hot plastic & very gently "paint" the accent color. Turned out looking pretty nice. He did warn that the tip of the soldering iron is harder than the mold so be careful to not damage the mold pressing too hard. Just lightly add your color.

• Thanks 1

It’s messy when you get colorant on the outside of the bait. Plus it won’t dry well or store good with other baits. Kinda like messy baby poop. 
what does work well is to hand pour half the bait, put a drop of colorant at the front of the bait near the nose and in the middle so it doesn’t run to the exterior of bait. Close the mold and shoot the other half. The colorant will run down the bait and give you a nice core color. Clear plastisol and contrasting colorant work better so the colorant pops. Glitter is Ok.  Chartreuse, orange, flourescent colorant show up nicely. Nice to experiment with. Not sure about the fish......

• Thanks 1

I have made some two piece POP molds with the craw baits flat in each half, so I can hand pour one half, let it cool a bit, and then close, clamp, and inject the second color at around 340 degrees, so it bonds to the first half.  I do the same with one piece open pour silicone molds.  With the silicone molds, I pass my heat gun over the back of the second color, to get it to even out and bond better.  It works well enough for me, but I'm just a hobby pourer.

15 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I have made some two piece POP molds with the craw baits flat in each half, so I can hand pour one half, let it cool a bit, and then close, clamp, and inject the second color at around 340 degrees, so it bonds to the first half.  I do the same with one piece open pour silicone molds.  With the silicone molds, I pass my heat gun over the back of the second color, to get it to even out and bond better.  It works well enough for me, but I'm just a hobby pourer.

I do the same.... but was hoping I could just do it easier with 1 color and a couple q tips and some dye... I just hate trying to manage 2 colors with my microwave... guess i just have to stop being lazy about firing up the prestos!!! LOL!.